Total current needs to go through the inductor L1, How ?

In summary, the question is what do I need to do on clamp 'ab', so that the total current only goes through the Inductor L1. You will need a second inductor parallel to the capacitor C1, and the impedance between nodes a and b must be infinite at a specific frequency to get all of the current from the current source to flow through the inductor.
Etech_Soffy
Summary:: So the question is, what do I need to do on clamp 'ab', so that the total current only goes through the Inductor L1.
I know the must be a second inductor parallel to the capacitor C1, but i don't know why.
Can someone please explain.
I also included the german question under the picture.

1641676023781.png

1641676058364.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Why are you calling that a "clamp" circuit? It looks like a current source (sinusoidal?) driving an LRC network...

Likes Klystron
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Why are you calling that a "clamp" circuit? It looks like a current source (sinusoidal?) driving an LRC network...
Yes it is, sorry my english is not the best when it comes to electrical engeneering. I don't know the correct terms/ names for it.

This is a standard series resonant LCR circuit. You'll find lots of links on the web about it's analysis.

I don't think I understand your real question in English. Sorry I don't read German and can't use google translate on an image.

There will always be some current in the C1 branch, except at one or two specific frequencies. The first is 0, i.e. DC, when there is nothing else connected between a and b. DC current can't flow through a capacitor. The second may be at a frequency where the shunt impedance between nodes a and b is infinite, that is the only way to get zero current. So I'm guessing the question is find the impedance Z to connect between a,b that makes the parallel combination of Z and C1 infinite at a specific frequency. You can solve this using the complex representation of impedance (phasors).

Is this a homework question? What have you tried in writing equations for this problem? What is the impedance of a parallel combination of Z (an unknown impedance) and C1.

Etech_Soffy said:
Yes it is, sorry my english is not the best when it comes to electrical engeneering. I don't know the correct terms/ names for it.
No worries. Your English is a lot better than my German (although I still remember how to count to 10 in German -- I'm an Army brat and lived in Germany from 2-4 y/o). :smile:
DaveE said:
This is a standard series resonant LCR circuit.
Not really a series LCR circuit the way it's being driven, right?

Etech_Soffy said:
Summary:: So the question is, what do I need to do on clamp 'ab', so that the total current only goes through the Inductor L1.
Unless you disconnect the reisister, you will not be able to get all of the current source's current to flow just through the inductor...

Yes you a right. I am looking for Z and i already know it has to be an inductor. And my question is, why the impedance between a and b is infinite when putting in an iductor.
No it is not a homework, it is was in the examination last year.
So Z has to be L2 (i think) (complex): Z(all) = R1 + C1 || Z = R1 + 1/ ( 1/jwC1 + jwL2 )

Etech_Soffy said:
No it is not a homework, it is was in the examination last year.
We treat all schoolwork-type questions the same at PF, so I will move this to the Homework Help forums. :smile:

Etech_Soffy said:
So Z has to be L2 (i think) (complex): Z(all) = R1 + C1 || Z = R1 + 1/ ( 1/jwC1 + jwL2 )
If you want the input impedance seen at a-b, that will be ##Z_C // (Z_R + Z_L)## since the impedance of the ideal current source is infinite.

berkeman said:
Not really a series LCR circuit the way it's being driven, right?
Series vs. parallel is really determined by where the resistor is (i.e. losses in the resonant tank). If the current that flows through the capacitor and the inductor HAS TO flow through the resistor, it's a series circuit. Another way to think about this (my favorite) is to ask what resistor value gives you no losses (Q=∞). If it's zero, it's series ; if it's ∞, it's parallel. The infinite impedance current source has no effect on the natural response of this circuit. OTOH, if you attach a bunch of other stuff (mostly impedances) onto the circuit, these definitions can become confusing and meaningless.

Yeah, upon further review I think you are right. When I said that I was thinking from the perspective of the current source drive. But apparently that is irrelevant to the OP's question, who seems to be asking about the input impedance at a-b.

berkeman said:
If you want the input impedance seen at a-b, that will be ZC//(ZR+ZL) since the impedance of the ideal current source is infinite.
Yes, but since you want infinite impedance in the network to the right of L1, you can ignore the series R. The only way to have infinite impedance is to get that from the load and the capacitor. So if ZL||ZC=∞, then (ZL||ZC)+R=∞

Etech_Soffy said:
##Z1||Z2=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{Z1}+\frac{1}{Z2}}##
Fix that and keep going. Your headed in the right direction. How would you get 0 current in that branch of the network?

DaveE said:
The only way to have infinite impedance is to get that from the load and the capacitor
Yeah, I didn't understand when the OP said that. I guess he wants infinite input impedance using ideal elements at a single frequency, but I'm too confused to be much help going forward. Thanks for helping him @DaveE

DaveE said:
I don't think I understand your real question in English. Sorry I don't read German and can't use google translate on an image.
I can ... Capture2Text
"
The illustrated complex sine source with regard to terminals a and b and the illustrated open circuit voltage Uab are given.
The ideal internal current source delivers a zero-phase current with an amplitude T = 500mA. The component values are C1 = 795nF; R1 = 80 ohm.
b) <M10> * What measures at gate a-b can be used to ensure that the entire current of the ideal current source (in the steady state) flows through coil L1?
If necessary, calculate the required component value. (4 points)
"

Baluncore said:
I can ... Capture2Text
"
The illustrated complex sine source with regard to terminals a and b and the illustrated open circuit voltage Uab are given.
The ideal internal current source delivers a zero-phase current with an amplitude T = 500mA. The component values are C1 = 795nF; R1 = 80 ohm.
b) <M10> * What measures at gate a-b can be used to ensure that the entire current of the ideal current source (in the steady state) flows through coil L1?
"
That makes no sense whatsoever, IMO. Did you use HillbillyTranslate.com for that? I've had bad luck with that website in the past... :wink:

The only way that all of the current from the source goes only through the inductor is if the current is DC.

What would happen if an inductor was connected to port ab, that was resonant with C1 at Fo = 1 kHz ?

berkeman said:
The only way that all of the current from the source goes only through the inductor is if the current is DC.
No (in theory), because an LC tank with no losses has infinite impedance at the resonant frequency. The trick is to get the load current to cancel the capacitor current.

Baluncore said:
I can ... Capture2Text
"
"
Every specification but the frequency?

Anyway "Capture2Text", thanks, I'll have to check that out.

DaveE said:
Every specification but the frequency?
The sinusoidal plot is part of the data set.
It does not pass through zero at time zero, so the student must look at the first and third zero crossings to see that the period is 1 msec = 1 kHz.

1. How does an inductor affect the flow of current?

An inductor resists changes in current flow and causes a delay in the buildup of current. When current is first applied, the inductor creates a back EMF that opposes the flow of current. This back EMF decreases as the current continues to flow, allowing the current to increase.

2. What is the role of inductors in circuits?

Inductors are used in circuits to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. They are also used to smooth out fluctuations in current and voltage, and to filter out unwanted high-frequency signals.

3. How does the value of inductance affect the behavior of an inductor in a circuit?

The value of inductance determines how much energy can be stored in the inductor's magnetic field. A higher inductance value means the inductor can store more energy and will resist changes in current more strongly.

4. How does the total current flow through an inductor?

The total current flow through an inductor is determined by the voltage applied and the inductance value. When voltage is first applied, the inductor creates a back EMF that limits the current flow. As the back EMF decreases, the current increases until it reaches a steady state determined by the inductance value.

5. What happens if the current through an inductor changes suddenly?

If the current through an inductor changes suddenly, the inductor will oppose the change by creating a back EMF. This can cause a high voltage spike in the circuit, which can potentially damage components. To prevent this, circuits often include a diode or other protection mechanism to limit the voltage spike.