Total displacement using vector diagram

In summary, a car traveled east for 50 miles, then north for 30 miles, and then in a direction 30 degrees east of north for 25 miles. Using the equations rx= ax + bx + cx, ry=ay + by + cy, and r= √(rx2 + ry2), the total displacement of the car from its starting point can be determined by drawing a vector diagram. The total displacement is the magnitude of the resulting vector, which can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem. The provided attempt appears to be correct, but it would be helpful to post images that are not rotated and to keep the three parts of the homework template included in the post.
Muhammad Khalid Khan
PF.jpg
PF2.jpg
A car is driven eastward for a distance of 50 miles, then northward for 30 miles, and then in a direction 30 degree east of north for 25 miles. Draw the vector diagram and determine the total displacement of the car from its starting point.

The relevant equations I used here are: i) rx= ax + bx + cx
ii) ry=ay + by + cy
iii) r= √(rx2 + ry2)
My attempt regarding this problem is as follows: (Please see the photos)

Physics news on Phys.org
Muhammad Khalid Khan said:
View attachment 110471 View attachment 110472 A car is driven eastward for a distance of 50 miles, then northward for 30 miles, and then in a direction 30 degree east of north for 25 miles. Draw the vector diagram and determine the total displacement of the car from its starting point.

The relevant equations I used here are: i) rx= ax + bx + cx
ii) ry=ay + by + cy
iii) r= √(rx2 + ry2)
My attempt regarding this problem is as follows: (Please see the photos)
Looks correct to me.

Likes Muhammad Khalid Khan
Buffu said:
Looks correct to me.
Have I done it right?

In the future, please take care to post images that aren't rotated. Also, please don't delete the three parts of the homework template.

Likes Muhammad Khalid Khan

1. What is total displacement using vector diagram?

Total displacement using vector diagram is a method used in physics to calculate the net displacement of an object by adding all of its individual displacements together. It is represented visually using a vector diagram, where each displacement is shown as an arrow with a specific magnitude and direction.

2. How is total displacement calculated using vector diagram?

To calculate total displacement using vector diagram, you must first draw a vector diagram with each individual displacement represented as an arrow. Next, you must add all of the arrows together, taking into account their directions. The resulting arrow represents the total displacement of the object.

3. What is the difference between total displacement and distance traveled using vector diagram?

Total displacement is the shortest distance between an object's initial and final positions, taking into account direction. Distance traveled, on the other hand, is the total length of the path an object takes, regardless of direction. Total displacement can be calculated using vector diagram, while distance traveled cannot.

4. Can total displacement be negative?

Yes, total displacement can be negative. This occurs when an object's initial and final positions are in opposite directions. In a vector diagram, the negative displacement is represented by an arrow pointing in the opposite direction of the positive displacement.

5. Why is total displacement important in physics?

Total displacement is important in physics because it helps us understand an object's motion and position. It allows us to calculate an object's velocity and acceleration, and helps us analyze the effects of forces on the object. Total displacement also takes into account the direction of an object's motion, providing a more accurate representation of its movement.