A radar device detects a rocket approaching directly from...

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement of a rocket observed by a radar device. The rocket was first observed 10 km away and making an angle of 30 degrees above the horizon, and later observed at an angle of 150 degrees while 8 km away. The attempted solution involves splitting each vector into components and then adding them, but it is pointed out that this does not produce the correct displacement. The correct method is to subtract the vector components.
Steebly

Homework Statement

A radar device detects a rocket approaching directly from east due west. At one instant, the rocket was observed 10 km away and making an angle of 30 degrees above the horizon. At another instant the rocket was observed at an angle of 150 degrees in the vertical east-west plane while the rocket was 8 km away. Find displacement of the rocket during the period of observation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I split each vector into subvector components by using equation Ax=A*cos(Theta) and Ay=A*sin(Theta). So Ax=10*cos(30) and Ay=10*sin(30). Bx=8*cos(150) and By=8*sin(150). Then I added Ax+Bx which equaled 1.74 and Ay+By which equaled 9. So Rx=1.74 and Ry=9. I then took sqrt( (1.74)^2+(9)^2) to fnd magnitude of R. I got 9.166 as the answer. So this is the displacement vector right? The book gives a value of 15.62 km but I got 9.166 km? What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Steebly said:

Homework Statement

A radar device detects a rocket approaching directly from east due west. At one instant, the rocket was observed 10 km away and making an angle of 30 degrees above the horizon. At another instant the rocket was observed at an angle of 150 degrees in the vertical east-west plane while the rocket was 8 km away. Find displacement of the rocket during the period of observation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I split each vector into subvector components by using equation Ax=A*cos(Theta) and Ay=A*sin(Theta). So Ax=10*cos(30) and Ay=10*sin(30). Bx=8*cos(150) and By=8*sin(150). Then I added Ax+Bx which equaled 1.74 and Ay+By which equaled 9. So Rx=1.74 and Ry=9. I then took sqrt( (1.74)^2+(9)^2) to fnd magnitude of R. I got 9.166 as the answer. So this is the displacement vector right? The book gives a value of 15.62 km but I got 9.166 km? What did I do wrong?
Lay out the two vectors on some graph paper or make a plot with your computer.

You added the two vectors together, which doesn't produce the displacement of the rocket between A and B.

So I was suppose to subtract the vector components. I should have said Ax-Bx=Rx and Ay-By=Ry. Thank you very much

1. How does a radar device detect a rocket?

A radar device detects a rocket by sending out radio waves and measuring the time it takes for them to bounce back. The device then analyzes the returned waves to determine the speed, direction, and distance of the rocket.

2. How accurate is a radar device in detecting a rocket?

Radar devices are highly accurate in detecting rockets. They can detect objects as small as a few centimeters in size and can determine their speed and direction with great precision.

3. Can a radar device detect a rocket in any weather?

Yes, radar devices are designed to work in all kinds of weather conditions. They use radio waves which are not affected by rain, fog, or other weather factors.

4. How far can a radar device detect a rocket?

The range of a radar device depends on its power and the size of the rocket. Generally, a radar device can detect a rocket from several miles away, but some advanced devices have a range of up to 100 miles.

5. Can a radar device differentiate between a rocket and other flying objects?

Yes, radar devices are equipped with advanced algorithms that can differentiate between different types of flying objects. They can identify the unique characteristics of a rocket, such as its shape, size, and speed, to distinguish it from other objects in the sky.