Total Impedance of RL Circuit in Parallel with Resistor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
eng_stud
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


find total impedance of a circuit with R1 and L in parallel with R2.

circuit looks like this (but with R2 instead of C): http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipe...rallel.svg/160px-RL_series_C_parallel.svg.png

Homework Equations


formula for two components in parallel: [tex]Z_T = Z_1 Z_2/(Z1 + Z_2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


question is, can I first combine the two resistors in parallel, then add the inductor in series? Or must I do the inductor and R1 together, in parallel with R2? So, eith er R1||R2 + Z_L or (R1+Z_L)||R2 ?

I'm assuming the last one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two series impedances are both, as a combined single impedance, in parallel with the last impedance. That is why vela and yourself are both correct.