How Do You Calculate Total Impedance in a Tuned R-LC Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
bizuputyi
Messages
42
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Given data of the given tuned R-LC circuit:

[itex]Q=1000[/itex]
[itex]f_{resonance} = 1MHz[/itex]
[itex]I = 15 \mu A[/itex]
[itex]V_{s} = 2.5V[/itex]
[itex]R_{L} = 10kΩ[/itex]
[itex]C=2nF[/itex]

Calculate the bandwidth, half-power frequencies, the value of R and L.
Estimate the impedance offered to the supply at resonance and at the frequencies of [itex]\pm[/itex]2% from resonance.

Homework Equations



[itex]BW = \frac{f_{r}}{Q}[/itex]

[itex]f_{lower}=f_{r} \Big( \sqrt{\frac{1}{4Q^2}+1}-\frac{1}{2Q} \Big)[/itex]

[itex]f_{upper}=f_{r} \Big( \sqrt{\frac{1}{4Q^2}+1}+\frac{1}{2Q} \Big)[/itex]

[itex]f_{r}=\frac{1}{2\Pi} \sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}[/itex]

[itex]Q=\frac{2\Pi f_{r}L}{R}[/itex]

[itex]R_{dynamic}=RQ^2[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Z}{R_{D}}=\frac{1}{1+j2Q\frac{δf}{f_{r}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]BW=1000Hz[/itex]

[itex]f_{lower}=999.5kHz[/itex]

[itex]f_{upper}=1000.5kHz[/itex]

[itex]L=25.33 \mu A[/itex]

[itex]R=0.159Ω[/itex]

Do these calculations appear to be correct?

I'm struggling to find total impedance of the circuit, although I have some idea:

Is it simply [itex]Z=\frac{V_{s}}{I}=166.67kΩ[/itex]?

or [itex]Y=j2\Pi f_{r}C+\frac{1}{R+j2\Pi f_{r}L}[/itex] then [itex]Z=\frac{1}{Y}[/itex]

from which I get [itex]Z=159006+j4780 Ω[/itex] plus [itex]R_{L}[/itex] total impedance comes to [itex]Z_{t}=169006+j4780 Ω[/itex]

or from dynamic impedance equation [itex]Z=RQ^2=159kΩ[/itex] plus [itex]R_L[/itex] again [itex]Z_t=169kΩ[/itex]

or this is a bit complicated but I found it in the textbook:
[itex]Z= \frac{R \Big( 1+\frac{(2\Pi f_r)^2L^2}{R^2} \Big) }{1+j(2\Pi f_r)\frac{L}{R} \Big( \frac{C}{L}R^2+(2\Pi f_r)LC-1 \Big) }[/itex] from which I get [itex]Z=159138+j1700 Ω[/itex] plus [itex]R_L[/itex] again [itex]Z_t=169138+j1700Ω[/itex]

Which of the total impedance is right? Maybe all of them are acceptable? Or a fifth one?

And as of to find total impedance at the frequencies [itex]\pm[/itex] 2%:

From the relevant equation I've got [itex]Z=99-j3972Ω[/itex] plus [itex]R_L → Z_t=10099-3872Ω[/itex]

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • R-LC.jpg
    R-LC.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
For high-Q circuits like this one you need to use approximations.

You should be able to derive the following:
|Z|/Zo ~ {1 + (2Qδ)2}-1/2

where |Z| is magnitude of the RLC network impedance (as seen by RL) at fractional freequency deviation δ, and Zo is the RLC network (real) impedance at resonance.

δ = (ω - ωo)/ωo
f = frequency, Hz
ωo = resonant frequency
Q = quality factor at resonance.

You can then compute R and L for the RLC network and go on from there.

The sequence of computations might be ωo → L → R → half-power δ → Zo → |Z|2%.
 
Right, I think I get it. This is similar approach than mine and I get the same results. I was overthinking a bit on Z as such a high-Q circuit has a very sharp-edged graph.
That's one more tiny step towards my degree. Thank you!
 
bizuputyi said:
Right, I think I get it. This is similar approach than mine and I get the same results. I was overthinking a bit on Z as such a high-Q circuit has a very sharp-edged graph.
That's one more tiny step towards my degree. Thank you!

Good luck to you!