Calculate the total impedance of the circuit

In summary, the homework asks for the total impedance of a circuit, and the phase difference between the resistive and inductive components.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit, composed of a resistance R and an inductance L in series with an AC generator providing a voltage V(t)=V(subscript 0) cos (omega*t)

calculate the total impedance of the circuit, and the phase difference between its resistive and inductive components

The Attempt at a Solution

I am totally confused about what it is asking for when it asks for the 'total impedance'. does it have anything to do with the complex impedance?

Physics news on Phys.org
blueyellow said:

Homework Statement

Consider a circuit, composed of a resistance R and an inductance L in series with an AC generator providing a voltage V(t)=V(subscript 0) cos (omega*t)

calculate the total impedance of the circuit, and the phase difference between its resistive and inductive components

I am totally confused about what it is asking for when it asks for the 'total impedance'. does it have anything to do with the complex impedance?

Yup. Every passive component (resistor, capacitor, inductor) has an impedance represented by a complex number. Resistors happen to have a zero value for the imaginary term. You're being asked to find the net impedance represented by the resistor in series with the inductor.

I really don't know how to do this. I only have a day and a half before I get tested on this. Please help

Z=sqrt(R^2+(X(subscript L)-X(subscript C))^2))

but how am I supposed to use that equation and is it the right equation?

blueyellow said:

Homework Statement

Use for impedances the fact that

Zresistor=R
Z(subL) = jwL

V=IZ

i is same

Vo* (e**0)=[Io](e**j phi t)( R+jwl)

and the fact that

v(subL)=L(di/dt)

i(t)=I(sub0)Cos(wt+phi)

I(t)=I(sub0) (e**phi j t )

Last edited:
Z=V/I=(V0cos(omega*t))/(I0exp(phi t))?

how do I calculate the phase difference?

Sorry I forgot the j's . Please re-read my previous post.

forgot j's where?

blueyellow said:
forgot j's where?
phi*t*(j)

But for the solution if you want a clear explanation, I will try my best

Now

there are phasors I,V,Z ( phasors )

i,v,R ( normal i'll call them ) currents, etc

I(big I ) is in the form= Io * cos(wt+phi)

Phasor - wise it is interpreted as Io * e**(jphit)

There are impedances where denoted by Z

Z=R for resistor and ZL=jwL for an inductor, 1/(jwC) for a capacitor.

You also have the relation v(small)=L*di/dt for the inductor.

All you need is some calculus to relate knowns to unknowns.

That's all I remember from my Electrics classes, so I can only offer this much help.

Good Luck !

1. What is impedance in a circuit?

Impedance is the total opposition to the flow of current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms and is a combination of both resistance and reactance.

2. How is impedance calculated in a circuit?

Impedance is calculated by summing up the resistance and reactance values in a circuit. The formula for calculating impedance is Z = √(R^2 + X^2), where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

3. What are the units of impedance?

The unit of impedance is ohms (Ω), which is the same unit as resistance. This is because impedance is a combination of both resistance and reactance, which are both measured in ohms.

4. How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance refers to the opposition to the flow of current caused by the material or component in a circuit, while impedance takes into account both the resistance and the reactance caused by capacitors and inductors. Impedance also takes into account the phase difference between voltage and current, while resistance does not.

5. What factors affect the total impedance of a circuit?

The total impedance of a circuit is affected by the resistance and reactance of the components in the circuit. The type of components (resistors, capacitors, inductors) and their values will determine the overall impedance of the circuit. The frequency of the alternating current also affects the reactance and therefore the overall impedance of the circuit.