1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total induced emf at different speeds

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you have a coil that is a certain distance from a magnet. Now you move the coil towards the magnet (until it is on top of the magnet) at a certain speed. Then you do the same thing only faster. Will the total induced emf be the same for both tries? Aka should the integrals of the two V_induced vs t plots be the same magnitude, opposite sign?

2. Relevant equations
    Faraday's...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not at all sure... I'm doing a lab on this and be got different values for the total induced emf, but I have a hunch that it should be the same, can't really explain it though.
    Thanks for any hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Faraday's law basically states that the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux with respect to time. Now, if you move the magnetic through the coil faster, does the rate of change of magnetic flux with respect to time remain unchanged, increase or decrease?

4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    if you move it faster... sounds like it'll increase

5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct! So what would happen to the induced emf?

6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    it would.... also increase? Yet if you move the coil faster towards the magnet, the instantaneous induced emf does increase, but the total time of movement decreases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?