Find the induced EMF and Lenz' law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where there is a magnetic field directed towards the screen and a movable side of a rectangular coil parallel to the screen. When the magnetic field increases, the movable side of the coil moves to the right. The explanation for this is that according to Lenz's law, the induced emf in the coil would be anti-clockwise and in order to oppose this change, an emf is induced in the coil. The explanation for the movement of the coil lies in Ampere's Law and the Lorentz Force, where the moving charges in the wire experience a force due to the magnetic field, causing the wire to move.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

There is a magnetic field directed inside/ towards the screen. There is also a single rectangular coil parallel to the screen where one of the sides are movable. The magnetc field increases, what happens to this movable side of the coil. This is my description of the problem, the original was displayed diagrammatically so please ask me to clarify if needed.

Homework Equations

Lenz's law

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The induced emf in the coil would be anti-clockwise. In order to oppose this change an emf will be induced in the coil. I don't know why the side of the coil should move at all but the answer is that it moves to the right. Can anyone explain to me why?

Physics news on Phys.org
NihalRi said:

Homework Statement

There is a magnetic field directed inside/ towards the screen. There is also a single rectangular coil parallel to the screen where one of the sides are movable. The magnetc field increases, what happens to this movable side of the coil. This is my description of the problem, the original was displayed diagrammatically so please ask me to clarify if needed.

Homework Equations

Lenz's law

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The induced emf in the coil would be anti-clockwise. In order to oppose this change an emf will be induced in the coil. I don't know why the side of the coil should move at all but the answer is that it moves to the right. Can anyone explain to me why?
Can you write out Lenz' Law for us? And are you familiar with Ampere's Law? And have you learned about the Lorentz Force yet?

Didn't learn about Lorentz Force but I do know ampere's law.
So Lenz's law- The induced current will be in a direction to oppose the change in magnetic flux that created the current. In this case -
Φ=BA
Φ(flux),(B) magnetic field strength and A (area of loop)
So it occurred to me now that oposing a change in flux is like keeping Φ constant. If B is increasing then it makes sense that A would have to decrease to keep it constant. This agrees with the answer as moving the side of the coil to the right would decrease the area(would make better sense with the diagram).
So is this like an alternative to producing an emf?I mean just by reducing the area a change in flux was avoided so a current won't be induced in the coil. I am guessing this is what actually happens but why reduce area over inducing current?

NihalRi said:
So is this like an alternative to producing an emf?I mean just by reducing the area a change in flux was avoided so a current won't be induced in the coil. I am guessing this is what actually happens but why reduce area over inducing current?
I don't know if that's a correct interpretation. It may be, but it's not the explanation I'm familiar with.

Changing the flux through the loop will induce a current in the loop. The moving charges in the wire sections experience the Lorentz Force F = qv X B which is normal to both the charges' velocity vector v and the B field vector. That is where the force comes from to move the wire. You just have to use Ampere's Law and the Righthand Rule to figure out which way the wire moves.

Likes NihalRi
berkeman said:
I don't know if that's a correct interpretation. It may be, but it's not the explanation I'm familiar with.

Changing the flux through the loop will induce a current in the loop. The moving charges in the wire sections experience the Lorentz Force F = qv X B which is normal to both the charges' velocity vector v and the B field vector. That is where the force comes from to move the wire. You just have to use Ampere's Law and the Righthand Rule to figure out which way the wire moves.

Yes! This makes so much more sense, it works. Thank you

Likes berkeman

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can be caused by moving the conductor through a stationary magnetic field or by changing the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

The induced EMF can be calculated by multiplying the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the conductor by the number of turns in the conductor. This is known as Faraday's Law.

3. What is Lenz's law?

Lenz's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

4. How does Lenz's law relate to induced EMF?

Lenz's law is closely related to induced EMF as it explains the direction of the induced current in a conductor. The induced EMF creates a current that opposes the change in magnetic flux, in accordance with Lenz's law.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced EMF and Lenz's law?

Induced EMF and Lenz's law have many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. They are also used in technologies such as wireless charging and electromagnetic brakes. Additionally, these principles are vital in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves and fields.