1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total phase difference diffraction help

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody,

I'm having some trouble comprehending the following image. I am supposed to be able to deduce from the figure that the total difference in phase angle is (k-k')r. To begin with, I do not understand why for the diffracted wave the difference in phase angle is -k'*r while for the incomming wave it is just k*r. Where does the minus sign come from?

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Hmm. The picture is a geometric way of showing what is going on and the equation is a way to show it as a vector relation.

So you need to think of the picture in terms of vectors, keeping in mind the definition of the dot product, then you'll see where the minus comes from.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks Bruce, with your hints about the vectors I finally understood where everything comes from.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

That's good. You did the work, I just gave you a kick in the right direction ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook