Total phase difference diffraction help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of phase angle and its application in a given image. The question is raised about the difference in phase angle for the diffracted wave and the incoming wave, specifically regarding the presence of a minus sign. The solution is found by considering the picture in terms of vectors and using the definition of the dot product. The conversation concludes with the individual thanking Bruce for providing helpful hints that led to a better understanding of the concept.
PhysicsGirl90
Hello everybody,

I'm having some trouble comprehending the following image. I am supposed to be able to deduce from the figure that the total difference in phase angle is (k-k')r. To begin with, I do not understand why for the diffracted wave the difference in phase angle is -k'*r while for the incomming wave it is just k*r. Where does the minus sign come from?

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• IMAG0283.jpg
    IMAG0283.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. The picture is a geometric way of showing what is going on and the equation is a way to show it as a vector relation.

So you need to think of the picture in terms of vectors, keeping in mind the definition of the dot product, then you'll see where the minus comes from.

Thanks Bruce, with your hints about the vectors I finally understood where everything comes from.

That's good. You did the work, I just gave you a kick in the right direction ;)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with understanding the concept of total phase difference in diffraction. I am a scientist and I would be happy to provide some clarification.

In diffraction, the total phase difference is the difference in phase angle between the incoming wave and the diffracted wave. This difference is caused by the path difference between the two waves as they travel through a diffracting medium. The path difference is the distance traveled by the waves from their source to the point of observation.

In the figure you mentioned, the incoming wave has a phase angle of k*r, while the diffracted wave has a phase angle of -k'*r. The minus sign in front of k'*r indicates that the diffracted wave has a phase difference that is opposite in sign to the incoming wave. This is because the diffracted wave travels a longer path compared to the incoming wave, resulting in a phase difference of -k'*r.

To understand this further, imagine a point source of light emitting a wave that is diffracted by a barrier with two slits. The wave that passes through the top slit will travel a shorter distance compared to the wave passing through the bottom slit. This path difference causes the two waves to be out of phase by -k'*r. The overall diffraction pattern is then created by adding the two waves together, resulting in a total phase difference of (k-k')r.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of total phase difference in diffraction. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is total phase difference in diffraction?

Total phase difference in diffraction refers to the difference in the phase of a wave at two different points in space. It is caused by the interference of multiple waves, and can be calculated by taking the difference between the path lengths of the waves.

2. How does total phase difference affect diffraction patterns?

Total phase difference plays a critical role in determining the shape and intensity of diffraction patterns. It can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, leading to bright spots in the pattern, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out, resulting in dark spots.

3. What factors can affect the total phase difference in diffraction?

The total phase difference in diffraction can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the waves, the distance between the source and the diffracting object, and the distance between the diffracting object and the screen where the pattern is observed.

4. How can total phase difference be calculated in diffraction?

Total phase difference can be calculated by taking the difference between the path lengths of the interfering waves. This can be done using the formula: Δφ = 2πΔx/λ, where Δφ is the total phase difference, Δx is the path length difference, and λ is the wavelength of the waves.

5. What is the significance of total phase difference in diffraction experiments?

The total phase difference in diffraction experiments is significant because it determines the overall shape and intensity of the diffraction pattern. By understanding and controlling the total phase difference, scientists can manipulate the diffraction patterns and gain valuable information about the properties of the diffracting object and the waves themselves.