Wave Optics & Two-Slit Interference Explanation

In summary, the electric field observed at a point O that is far from the two slits, say at a distance r from the midpoint of the segment connecting the slits, at an angle θ from the x axis. The critical point is that the distances from the slits to point O are not equal; hence the waves will be out of phase due to the longer distance traveled by the wave from one slit relative to the other. Calculate the phase Φlower(O,t) of the wave from the lower slit that arrives at point O.
hdp12
I have an online homework question and my classmate told me the answer but I would really like someone to explain to me how that answer was determined. I do not understand. Q: Consider the electric field observed at a point O that is far from the two slits, say at a distance r from the midpoint of the segment connecting the slits, at an angle θ from the x axis. Here, far means that r≫d, a regime sometimes called Fraunhofer diffraction.

The critical point is that the distances from the slits to point O are not equal; hence the waves will be out of phase due to the longer distance traveled by the wave from one slit relative to the other. Calculate the phase Φlower(O,t) of the wave from the lower slit that arrives at point O.

EQUATIONS:
E(x,t)=Eleftcos[2π/λ(x−ct)].
Φ(x,t)=kx−ωt
ω=2πf
k=2π/λ

SOLUTION:
Φlower(O, t) = 2π/λ (r−ct) + π/λ dsin(θ)

I just really don't understand how that is derived...
can someone please help explain?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 4.08.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 4.08.25 PM.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 705
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the trouble with just having someone tell you the answer, you end up not understanding it.
The reason it was given you as an exercise is that you benefit best from working it out yourself.
Start like this:

What determines the phase of the wave?

Simon Bridge said:
That's the trouble with just having someone tell you the answer, you end up not understanding it.
The reason it was given you as an exercise is that you benefit best from working it out yourself.
I understand that, and I rarely ask others for the solution. However I had to turn in the assignment so I got the answer but am currently going back and redoing it so as to understand it myself. I want to know how to do the problem. I promise I am neither a cheater nor a slacker. I actually enjoy a majority of the problems we are given, this one just tripped me up.

You ask what determines the phase of the wave?
Isn't it derived using the wavenumber or wavelength, distance, angular frequency or frequency, and time? such as in the formula Φ(x,t)=kx−ωt

The phase is a physical characteristic of the shape of the wave.
It is better to think first of the physics or the geometry and then worry about equations.

In terms of the phasor model - the phase is the angle the phasor makes to the real axis.
In terms of the traditional sine wave, points of equal phase have the same instantaneous amplitude and slope.
The equation comes out as ##\Phi(\vec r, t) = \vec k\cdot\vec r -\omega t + \delta##.

If you pick the origin for time where ##\Phi(0,0)=0##, then, for a spherical wave, what is ##\Phi(r,0)## for some distance ##r## from the origin.

Then keep going - I cannot really be much help if I don't see where you get derailed.
If you are having trouble understahding how the above helps - don't worry: just show me your best attempt.

Sure! Let's break down the solution step by step to understand how it was derived.

First, we need to understand the concept of phase in wave optics. Phase refers to the position of a wave in its cycle at a given point in space and time. It is typically measured in radians and can be thought of as the angle of the wave at a specific point.

Next, we need to understand the equations given in the problem. The first equation, E(x,t) = Eleftcos[2π/λ(x−ct)], represents the electric field at a point x and time t, where Eleft is the amplitude of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and c is the speed of light. This equation is known as the wave equation and describes the behavior of a wave in space and time.

The second equation, Φ(x,t) = kx−ωt, represents the phase of the wave at a point x and time t, where k is the wave number (2π/λ) and ω is the angular frequency (2πf).

Now, let's look at the problem at hand. We are trying to calculate the phase Φlower(O,t) of the wave from the lower slit that arrives at point O. To do this, we need to consider the distance traveled by the wave from the lower slit to point O. In this case, the distance is r, as stated in the problem.

However, we also need to take into account the fact that the distances from the slits to point O are not equal. This means that the waves from each slit will have traveled different distances and therefore will have different phases when they reach point O. This is what causes the interference pattern we observe in the two-slit experiment.

To calculate the phase Φlower(O,t), we need to add the phase due to the distance traveled (2π/λ (r−ct)) to the phase due to the angle of arrival (π/λ dsin(θ)). The angle of arrival is given by the equation dsin(θ), where d is the distance between the two slits and θ is the angle at which the wave arrives at point O.

Combining these two phases, we get the solution Φlower(O,t) = 2π/λ (r−ct) + π/λ dsin(θ). This equation takes into account the different distances and angles of arrival for the wave from the lower

1. What is wave optics?

Wave optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light as a wave, rather than a particle. It involves the study of how light waves interact with different materials and how they are affected by phenomena such as interference and diffraction.

2. What is two-slit interference?

Two-slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a single light source passes through two narrow slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen. This pattern is caused by the superposition of two waves that have traveled different distances from the slits to the screen.

3. How does two-slit interference work?

When a single light source passes through two slits, it creates two coherent wavefronts that interact with each other. The waves interfere constructively and destructively, producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen. This is due to the differences in the path lengths of the waves, which causes them to either cancel each other out or reinforce each other.

4. What is the significance of two-slit interference?

Two-slit interference is significant because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light. It also allows scientists to study the properties of light, such as wavelength and frequency, by analyzing the interference pattern. Furthermore, it has practical applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and spectroscopy.

5. Can two-slit interference occur with other types of waves?

Yes, two-slit interference can occur with any type of wave, not just light waves. It has been observed with sound waves, water waves, and even electron waves. This phenomenon is a fundamental property of waves and can be applied to different fields of science.