Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Total pressure and Static Pressure and V

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    Confusion... I'm probably being stupid but....
    Aerofoil in a wind tunnel... there are lots of pressure tappings including Pt and Ps (static and total pressure freestream) these are currently in mm on a manometer..
    my Pt is 11.4mm and Ps is 16.8mm.. (SG=0.8)
    1st question: Should total pressure be less than static??? because i cant solve the equation to find free stream velocity.. rearranging: Pt - Ps = 1/2 p V^2 (p = density)
    as Pt - Ps is negative.. hence finding V is impossible.. cant root a negative. Have i mixed the two up?
    however my Cp against x/c graph looks good.. and swapping Pt and Ps messes it up..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure, I dont have access to the experiment anymore. What difference would using a pito static tube make?
    Can the Dynamic pressure (Pt - Ps) be negative in this situation? And am I allowed to swap them around (Ps - Pt) to work out the freestream velocity?
    All the other pressure tappings on the aerofoil itself at 0 incidence are between 15 and 19mm. It's only the so called Pt that's as low as 11.4mm.. Thought: maybe i'm being silly and the lower the (mm manometer fluid) the greater the pressure...? Confusion reigns
    for information manometer (table?) is at 20 degrees and fluid = 800 kg/m3
  5. Jan 5, 2009 #4

Staff: Mentor

The static and total ports are linked together to do the subtraction for you, providing one number for your data: the velocity pressure.
    Not unless the flow direction was backwards.
    Without knowing what the port that is labeled "Pt" really is, it is tough to help. But total pressure can't be less than static pressure....

...or are these other ports that are labeled as static pressure acutally pressure ports along the profile of the airfoil? In that case, they aren't freestream static pressure.
  6. Sep 7, 2009 #5
    Total P is always greater than or equal to static pressure

I guess u r wrongly calculating the pressure difference... let me guess..
    u would have connected the pitot tube(measures tot P) to a manometer (A) at the top
    Static tube(measures Static P) to another manometer (B) at the top...
    Condition: both manometers exposed on the other tube to same atmospheric conditions

Now u have less pressure acting on the water column at B.. so the water level will be higher, say h2; on the other hand u ve more pressure acting on the water column at A.. so its level will be lower, say h1..

This implies, higher P keeps the water column lower... so u would have calculated the pressure diff as rho*g*(h2-h1) which is actually (Tot P-Static P)... Now u cud get the vel right
  7. Sep 7, 2009 #6
    Can you not use text speak please.
  8. Sep 9, 2009 #7
    okay...hereafter i will be conscious about that.. thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?