1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough eigenvalue problem, trying to understand it

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    Suppose P: V->V s.t. P^2 = P and V = kerP + ImP (actually not just + but a direct sum). Find all eigenvalues of P.

----
    Which of the following explanations is right? (1 is an eigenvalue, but is 0 also?) Could somebody please explain?

-----
    First answer:

Suppose that λ is an eigenvalue of P, with eigenvector v; then:
    Pv = λv = (P^2)v = (λ^2)v
    This gives (as v ≠ 0):
    λ(1−λ) = 0 ⇔ λ = 0 or 1
    In fact, Pv = v iff v ∈ Im(P), because:
    v ∈ Im(P) ⇔ v = Pz ⇒ Pv = (P^2)z = Pz = v
    On the other hand, if v = n + z and Pv = v, then Pv = P(n + z) = Pz ⇒ v = Pz.

Other answer:

P^2(v) = P(P(v)) = P(pv) = pP(v) = (p^2)v.
    But P^2(v) = P(v) = pv.
    Thus p^2 = p => p in {0, 1}.
    Where v in V is an eigenvector of P:V -> V, with associated eigenvalue p in F, the ground field (V/F).
    If P(v) = 0, then v in KerP. (Here we assume that v is the eigenvector with associated eigenvalue 0.)
    But P(v) = P^2(v) = P(P(v)) => v in ImP.
    Thus v in KerP intersection ImP.
    But V = KerP (+) ImP => KerP intersection ImP = {0}.
    Thus v = 0 => v is not a valid eigenvector (by convention).
    Thus 0 is not an eigenvalue of P.
    Thus 1 is the only eigenvalue of P.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2
    That 2nd proof certainly makes sense to me. What you have in P is a projection operator, which projects vectors of V to some subspace of V. Now, if the subspace is V itself, then you cannot find the eigenvalue zero for any vector in V. I think that's what happening here but it's certainly not obvious.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Is this part true... I'm not sure it is:

But P(v) = P^2(v) = P(P(v)) => v in ImP.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Why do the propellers pull an aircraft, but push a ship?

The subspace could be zero too -- i.e. P could be the zero operator.

Why do you think it's true? If you can't give a precise algebraic calculation that shows it, then you're right to be skeptical about it.

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    I was thinking that the condition

[tex] V = \ker(p) \oplus \mathrm{im}(p) [/tex]

might constrain the subspace to be equal to V but it seems that zero works too.

7. Nov 24, 2009 #6
    I was thinking that the statement "P(v) = P^2(v) = P(P(v)) => v in ImP" is true because if P(P(v)) then it maps v so obviously v must be in the image. i thought the rest followed from it and I was thinking the same thing as clamtrox, i.e. that the condition constrained it... hm...

8. Nov 24, 2009 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't parse this.

Are you trying to say that you cancelled one P from each side of the equation
    Pv = PPv​
    ? If so, then that's a problem -- you can only cancel invertible matrices. P's action on all of V is not invertible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook