1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traditional integration of X^3

1. Aug 23, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to prove that the integral of x^3 (x cubed) between the limits of a (lower limit) and b (upper limit) is:

(b^4)/4 - (a^4)/4

I'm using the traditional method of dividing the area into n rectangles (where n tends to infinity). Hence the width of 1 rectangle is (b-a)/n

The x coordinate (left side of each thin rectangle) of any rectangle is: a + (k-1) * ((b-a)/n)

I can prove other integrations using this 'traditional' approach but cannot get the correct answer here.

Does anyone have a link to the proof or can provide it?

Thanks. This is driving me mad.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2014 #2
    Maybe you could post your calculation that gave you the wrong answer.

4. Aug 23, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you divide the area into N rectangles width ##\Delta x : N\Delta x = b-a##
    The area of the nth rectangle is ##A_n=(x_n)^3\Delta x:x_n=a+n\Delta x##

The area between a and b is the sum:$$A=\frac{b-a}{N}\sum_{n=0}^N \left(a+n\frac{b-a}{N}\right)^3 $$ ... expand the cubic and sum each term separately.
    Then take the limit as ##N\to\infty##

This what you tried?
    Where did you get stuck?

Or just google for "riemann sum for x^3" ;)

5. Aug 23, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is probably a lot less messy to first get ##F(c) =\int_0^c x^3 \, dx## using the traditional approach, then getting your answer as ##F(b) - F(a)## (assuming ##0 < a < b##). To get ##F(c)## you just need to perform summations of the form ##\sum_{n=1}^N n^3##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted