Tranform photon to other energy

In summary, photons can transform into other forms of energy when they interact with charged particles. This includes the absorption, scattering, and destruction of photons by electrons. The transverse E field of a photon is what allows it to interact with charged particles, and this interaction can occur at both low and high energies. At relativistic energies, it is called Compton scattering.
kevinsetiono
hi guys i want to ask you about something . Energy can not be made or destruct , but it can TRANSFORM to other energy . my question is can photon transform to other energy ? :zzz:

Science news on Phys.org
Sure: Whenever it hits something and is absorbed.

russ : how about the light ? if light hits something , will it absorbed ?

Isn't that the same question? Light is photons, after all.

what will be if photon of light destruct ?

kevinsetiono said:
what will be if photon of light destruct ?
Increased internal energy. Consider what happens when you sit out in the sun: you get hot.

Here is an extreme case of photon energy transformation. Shoot a laser beam of 1-eV photons headlong into a 1-GeV electron beam (γ=1960). The photon Compton scatters off the electron and back along the same direction as the incident electron. The energy of the backscattered photon is 4γ2·1 eV = 15 MeV.

Bob S said:
Here is an extreme case of photon energy transformation. Shoot a laser beam of 1-eV photons headlong into a 1-GeV electron beam (γ=1960). The photon Compton scatters off the electron and back along the same direction as the incident electron. The energy of the backscattered photon is 4γ2·1 eV = 15 MeV.
i just think if photon is neutral , it can not be affected by electron , i guess

kevinsetiono said:
i just think if photon is neutral , it can not be affected by electron , i guess

Photons easily interact with charged particles including electrons.

Drakkith said:
Photons easily interact with charged particles including electrons.
can you explain why this happen , i just think if neutral charged can not be affected by positive charge or negative one

kevinsetiono said:

kevinsetiono said:
can you explain why this happen , i just think if neutral charged can not be affected by positive charge or negative one
The photon is comprised of a transverse E field and an orthogonal transverse H field. It is the transverse E field that interacts with charged particles. At very low energies photons interact with the entire atom, like in Rayleigh scattering of sunlight (blue sky). At higher energies, photons interact with individual electrons, and this is called Thomson scattering. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson_scattering. At relativistic energies, it is called Compton scattering.

The cross ection for Thomson scattering is about 0.665 barns = 0.665 x 10-24 cm2.

1. What is the process of transforming a photon to other energy?

The process of transforming a photon to other energy involves the absorption of the photon by a material, which then converts the photon's energy into another form such as heat or electricity.

2. How is the energy of a photon determined?

The energy of a photon is determined by its wavelength or frequency. The shorter the wavelength or higher the frequency, the higher the energy of the photon.

3. Can any material transform a photon to other energy?

No, not all materials have the ability to transform a photon to other energy. Only materials with the appropriate energy levels can absorb and convert the energy of a photon.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of transforming a photon to other energy?

The efficiency of transforming a photon to other energy is affected by factors such as the material's properties, the wavelength of the photon, and the temperature of the material.

5. What are some practical applications of transforming photons to other energy?

Some practical applications of transforming photons to other energy include solar panels, photovoltaic cells, and certain types of detectors and sensors. These technologies utilize the energy of photons to generate electricity or detect light signals.