Transcendental Functions Containing Natural Logs

In summary, the integral is trying to solve for the anti-derivative of u. I've tried using the Reciprocal Rule and substitution of each ln function with u to get a workable result, but haven't come anywhere near a recognizable solution. The answers stated in the book are as follows: a) 1/ln4, b) (ln2)^2.
WhiskeyHammer

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integrals

a) y=
eqn40561.png

b) y=
eqn4056.png

Homework Equations

Untitled-1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the Reciprocal Rule and substitution of each ln function with u to get a workable result, but haven't come anywhere near a recognizable solution. The answers stated in the book are as follows:
a) 1/ln4
b) (ln2)^2

[STRIKE]This tells me that, somehow a must end up looking like this:
ln 1 - ln 4
and b must look like:
ln2 * ln2[/STRIKE]

These would seem counter intuitive to my understanding of how these kinds of problems are solved and I am at a loss of how to fix it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want the anti-derivative (definite integral), not the derivative, and there is no ##y## in either problem. In both problems try the substitution ##u=\ln x##.

WhiskeyHammer said:
The answers stated in the book are as follows:
a) 1/ln4

This tells me that, somehow a must end up looking like this:
ln 1 - ln 4
1/ln(4) ≠ ln(1) - ln(4), so it would be good for you to review the properties of logs.

The expression on the right can be simplified like so:

ln(1) - ln(4) = 0 - ln(4) = ln(1/4)

Note the ln(1/4) is a negative number, while 1/ln(4) is positive, so they couldn't possibly be equal.

LCKurtz said:
You want the anti-derivative (definite integral), not the derivative, and there is no ##y## in either problem. In both problems try the substitution ##u=\ln x##.

I see the intent in setting up the integral as ##u*du## and anti-deriving to ##2u## but I don't see how ##du## could possibly equal ##1/x*dx## the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## which leaves us with ##u*du*dx## right?

I also updated the errors in my original post. Thanks for catching them, I am definitely on the tail end of burned out.

WhiskeyHammer said:
I see the intent in setting up the integral as ##u*du## and anti-deriving to ##2u## but I don't see how ##du## could possibly equal ##1/x*dx## the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## which leaves us with ##u*du*dx## right?
No. If u = lnx, then du = d(lnx) = d/dx(lnx)*dx = 1/x * dx
WhiskeyHammer said:
I also updated the errors in my original post. Thanks for catching them, I am definitely on the tail end of burned out.

WhiskeyHammer said:
I see the intent in setting up the integral as ##u*du## and anti-deriving to ##2u## but
Ouch! The anti-derivative of u is [itex](1/2)u^2+ C[/itex]

I don't see how ##du## could possibly equal ##1/x*dx## the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## which leaves us with ##u*du*dx## right?

Your original integral was
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x ln(x)}[/tex]
(the second "dx" must be a typo.)

If you let u= ln(x) then [itex]du= \frac{1}{x}dx= \frac{dx}{x}[/itex] so the integral becomes
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x ln(x)}= \int \frac{1}{ln(x)}\frac{dx}{x}= \int \frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

"the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## "
I can't make sense of that! The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x. Perhaps you mean (1/x) times the derivative of x with respect to x. That last would be 1 so that is the same as 1/x. Having written du/dx= 1/x, in differential terms, du= (1/x)dx.

Thanks guys, despite the errors on my part, you suggestions and clarifications were awesome and I got it worked out :biggrin:

1. What are transcendental functions containing natural logs?

Transcendental functions containing natural logs are mathematical functions that involve the natural logarithm, which is the logarithm with base e (approximately equal to 2.718). These functions are called "transcendental" because they cannot be expressed in terms of a finite number of algebraic operations.

2. What are some common examples of transcendental functions containing natural logs?

Some common examples of transcendental functions containing natural logs include the natural logarithm function (ln x), the exponential function (e^x), and the inverse hyperbolic sine function (arcsinh x). Other examples include the logistic function, the Gompertz function, and the Weibull function.

3. How are transcendental functions containing natural logs used in scientific research?

Transcendental functions containing natural logs are used in a wide range of scientific research, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are particularly useful in modeling complex systems, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and diffusion processes.

4. What are some properties of transcendental functions containing natural logs?

Some properties of transcendental functions containing natural logs include: they are continuous and differentiable on their entire domain, they are monotonic (either increasing or decreasing), and they have asymptotes at x = 0 and x = ∞. They also have specific rules for differentiation and integration, which can be used in mathematical calculations.

5. How can transcendental functions containing natural logs be graphed?

To graph transcendental functions containing natural logs, you will need to plot multiple points and connect them with a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to generate the graph. It is important to pay attention to the domain and range of the function to ensure an accurate representation of the graph.