1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transcendental Functions Containing Natural Logs

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the integrals

a) y= eqn40561.png
    b) y= eqn4056.png

2. Relevant equations

Untitled-1.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried using the Reciprocal Rule and substitution of each ln function with u to get a workable result, but havent come anywhere near a recognizable solution. The answers stated in the book are as follows:
    a) 1/ln4
    b) (ln2)^2

[STRIKE]This tells me that, somehow a must end up looking like this:
    ln 1 - ln 4
    and b must look like:
    ln2 * ln2[/STRIKE]

These would seem counter intuitive to my understanding of how these kinds of problems are solved and Im at a loss of how to fix it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want the anti-derivative (definite integral), not the derivative, and there is no ##y## in either problem. In both problems try the substitution ##u=\ln x##.

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

1/ln(4) ≠ ln(1) - ln(4), so it would be good for you to review the properties of logs.

The expression on the right can be simplified like so:

ln(1) - ln(4) = 0 - ln(4) = ln(1/4)

Note the ln(1/4) is a negative number, while 1/ln(4) is positive, so they couldn't possibly be equal.

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4
    I see the intent in setting up the integral as ##u*du## and anti-deriving to ##2u## but I dont see how ##du## could possibly equal ##1/x*dx## the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## which leaves us with ##u*du*dx## right?

I also updated the errors in my original post. Thanks for catching them, I am definitely on the tail end of burned out.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. If u = lnx, then du = d(lnx) = d/dx(lnx)*dx = 1/x * dx

7. Sep 5, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ouch! The anti-derivative of u is [itex](1/2)u^2+ C[/itex]

Your original integral was
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x ln(x)}[/tex]
    (the second "dx" must be a typo.)

If you let u= ln(x) then [itex]du= \frac{1}{x}dx= \frac{dx}{x}[/itex] so the integral becomes
    [tex]\int\frac{dx}{x ln(x)}= \int \frac{1}{ln(x)}\frac{dx}{x}= \int \frac{1}{u}du[/tex]

"the derivative of ##\ln x## is ##(1/x)(d/dx*x)## "
    I can't make sense of that! The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x. Perhaps you mean (1/x) times the derivative of x with respect to x. That last would be 1 so that is the same as 1/x. Having written du/dx= 1/x, in differential terms, du= (1/x)dx.

8. Sep 7, 2012 #7
    Thanks guys, despite the errors on my part, you suggestions and clarifications were awesome and I got it worked out :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook