Transfer function of the state space model

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining the transfer function for a state space model, including the use of the ss2tf function in Matlab. The individual also explores methods for finding the poles and zeros of the system, including using the state observer equation and understanding the relationship between the original and new poles of the system. The possibility of using Matlab to find the poles of the observer is also mentioned.
zoom1
I have a state space model along with an observer and state feedback.

hpstg7v.jpg

I need to find the transfer function connecting the r (reference) to the y (output)

I have this model on simulink. I know the A,B,C,D matrices. So, I can get the TF for the stateSpace with ss2tf function of matlab. However, I couldn't find a way to obtain the TF of the observer.

Actually I am interested in the poles and zeros of the system. I though if I find the TF, I can get them. But if there is another way around for this, I would also welcome this method.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
ok, so first what is the equation for a state observer?

donpacino said:
ok, so first what is the equation for a state observer?

x_head' = (A-LC)x_head + Bu + Ly

Where x_head is the estimated state array

right...

So use that equation to get the transfer function.

so your A,B,C,D matrixs are the same in the observer as they are in the regular model (at least typically they are)
You should have chosen your L matrix (measurement vs model accuracy).

remember the observer is a MIMO system (multi input multi output)
so to find y/r there is no one simple command, you will have to be smart about how you use matlabas for any easy of finding the poles i'll give you this hint...in the regular state space model X'=AX+Bu
with direct state feedback, the new model is

X'=AX+B(u-KX)

X'=(A-BK)X+Bu

The old poles of the system were the eigenvalues of A. The new poles are the eigenvalues of A-BK

knowing that, is there an easy way to find the poles of the observer

for your question. I understand the importance of finding the transfer function of a state space model and how it can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system. In your case, you have a state space model with an observer and state feedback and you are looking to find the transfer function connecting the reference (r) to the output (y).

One way to obtain the transfer function for the observer is to first convert the state space model into a transfer function using the ss2tf function in Matlab. This will give you the transfer function from the reference (r) to the state variables (x). Then, you can use the state feedback gain matrix to obtain the transfer function from the state variables (x) to the output (y). Finally, you can combine these two transfer functions to get the overall transfer function from the reference (r) to the output (y).

Another method is to use the observer canonical form of the state space model, which is a special form that allows for easy calculation of the observer transfer function. This form can be obtained by rearranging the A, B, C, and D matrices of the state space model. Once you have the observer canonical form, you can use it to directly calculate the transfer function of the observer.

Additionally, if you are interested in the poles and zeros of the system, you can use the pole-zero cancellation method to find them. This involves finding the common factors in the transfer function and eliminating them to obtain the poles and zeros. Alternatively, you can also use the eigenvalues of the A matrix in the state space model to determine the poles of the system.

I hope this helps you in finding the transfer function and understanding the behavior of your system. Best of luck with your research!

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes the output of a system in terms of its input, and is commonly used in control systems analysis and design.

What is a state space model?

A state space model is a mathematical model of a system that describes its internal states and their evolution over time. It is commonly used to represent and analyze dynamic systems and is often used in control systems engineering.

What is the relationship between a transfer function and a state space model?

A transfer function can be derived from a state space model and is often used to simplify the analysis and design of control systems. However, a state space model provides a more comprehensive representation of a system, as it includes information about the internal states of the system.

What are the advantages of using a state space model?

State space models offer several advantages over other models, including the ability to handle nonlinear systems, the inclusion of internal states, and the ability to easily incorporate disturbances and noise. They also allow for more advanced control design techniques, such as state feedback and observer design.

How is the transfer function of a state space model calculated?

The transfer function of a state space model is calculated by first converting the state space model into a transfer function representation using the Laplace transform. This involves finding the transfer matrix, which relates the output to the input, and then taking the ratio of the output to the input. The resulting transfer function is a function of the Laplace variable, s.