Transform a few numbers into one with key

In summary, the person is asking for a way to compress several numbers into one using a reversible key. They are not well-versed in number theory or cryptography and have tried searching for solutions online. They believe that using ASCII and mathematical transformations could be a better approach than manipulating the numbers directly. They are seeking advice and references on this topic. However, it is pointed out that compressing binary data into a smaller amount of binary data without losing information is impossible. The person is also advised to use existing compression programs or libraries instead of trying to invent their own method. The keyword for this topic is "data compression".
gheelengooi
Dear all,

Basically I am thinking of a possibility that I could transform several numbers into one using a key, which is reversible by using the same key afterwards, transform the one number back into its original separated form.

I am not really good in number theory or cryptography but I tried searching on Google, I see that there might be some solutions in these fields but I am not sure whether this is feasible. I do understand that doing that will cause some errors so I would like to study it.

In fact, I am thinking that representing the numbers using ASCII and perform some mathematical transformation might produce far better results than pure number manipulation.

Does anyone have any idea or experience of doing this? If yes, is there any reference source that you may provide?

Thank you so much!

p/s: I am doing this because I just want to compress a large array of data into a small size to save power on wireless radio transmission.

Technology news on Phys.org
gheelengooi said:
p/s: I am doing this because I just want to compress a large array of data into a small size to save power on wireless radio transmission.
This* is provably impossible to do. For any scheme you try to invent, you'll find that you increase the size on average.

*: Compressing binary data into a smaller amount of binary data without losing information

Now, if your data has special properties (e.g. it's a text document), there are things you can do. But people have already written programs to do this; using one of those is likely to be easier and far better than anything you try to do, unless you have some specialized knowledge about the data you're trying to compress.

If you're using a *NIX system, you should already have gzip and gunzip. I don't know any convenient choices for windows, though.

Several programming languages have libraries to let you do compression.

If you're just thinking about this for the fun of thinking about it, a good keyword would be "data compression".

1. What does it mean to transform numbers into one with key?

Transforming numbers into one with key refers to a mathematical process in which a set of numbers is combined or reduced into a single number using a specific key or formula.

2. Why would someone want to transform numbers into one with key?

This process is commonly used in data analysis and encryption. It allows for easier manipulation and interpretation of large sets of data, as well as providing a more secure way to store and transmit sensitive information.

3. What are some common keys or formulas used to transform numbers into one?

Some common keys or formulas used in this process include addition, multiplication, averaging, and hashing algorithms.

4. Is there a specific order in which the numbers should be transformed?

The order in which numbers are transformed may vary depending on the key or formula being used. However, it is important to follow the correct mathematical order of operations to ensure accurate results.

5. Can this process be reversed to retrieve the original numbers?

In some cases, it is possible to reverse the process and retrieve the original numbers if the key or formula is known. However, this is not always possible and it may be intentionally difficult to do so in the case of encryption methods.