Transformation/change of variables in this differential equation?

In summary: BC: u(1,t) = u(7,t) = 0IV: u(x(w),0) = x(w) + 5, w=0,6?In summary, we are considering a partial differential equation with initial values and boundary conditions, and our goal is to transform it to the interval [0,6]. To do so, we introduce a new function f(w,t) defined by f(w,t) = u(x(w),t) and use the chain rule to simplify the equation. This leads to a new differential equation with new boundary and initial conditions
kingwinner
Transformation/change of variables in this differential equation!?

Maybe my background is just weak...I was thinking about this for almost 1.5 hours already, but I still end up totally confused. Perhaps this is because I was never able to understand the ideas of a function and change of variables completely...perhaps I have a serious conceptual flaw.

Homework Statement

Consider the following partial differential equation with initial values(IV) and boundary conditions(BC):
ut - k uxx = x + 2t, 1<x<7, t>0
BC: u(1,t) = u(7,t) = 0
IV: u(x,0) = x+5
Our goal is to transform the above to the interval [0,6].
Let w = x-1.
Transform the whole problem to the interval w E [0,6]. (write in terms of w)

2. Homework Equations /concepts
No knowledge of partial differential equation is needed. Anyone with a solid background in mutlivariable calculus and change of variables should be able to answer this question. (I think)

The Attempt at a Solution

ux=uw dw/dx = (uw) (1) = uw
uxx = ...(apply chain rule again) = uww
[On the left side, think of u as u(x,t). On the right side, think of u as u(w,t)]

BC:
x=1 <=> w=0
x=7 <=> w=6
So the boundary conditions get transformed to u(0,t)=u(6,t)=0 [here think of u as u(w,t)]

IV:
We know u(x,0) = x+5
=> u(w,0) = w+5
[I believe the logic in this step cannot be wrong, consider e.g. f(4z)=cos(4z), now how do we find f(4z-y)? Of course, f(4z-y)=cos(4z-y). How do we find f(z)? Surely, f(z)=cos(z). Right??]

So my final answer is: [here think of u as u(w,t)]
ut - k uww = w+1+2t, 0<w<6, t>0
BC: u(0,t) = u(6,t) = 0
IV: u(w,0) = w+5

However, I really have some bad feeling that the result u(w,0) = w+5 is wrong, but I don't know where the mistake is.
I tried to calculate it in a different way and the answer is the same.
u(w,0)
= u(x-1,0) = (x-1)+5
=> u(w,0) = w+5

Can someone please kindly explain why and where my mistake is? What is the correct answer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Can somebody please help?? I know it's suuposed to be simple, but I can't figure it out...

In short, my problem is the following:
Suppose u(x,0) = x+5.
Let w = x-1.
Does it imply that u(w,0) = w+5?

Could someone please answer this?

I haven't had a chance to read the top bit but say you have u(x,t) such that
u(x,0) = x+5

and you want to subsitute
w = x-1
then
x = w+1

so I would substitute in
u(w=x+1,0) = (w+1)+5 = w+6

will try & have a better look tonight

Maybe it's u(w,0) = x+6. But can you please tell me where my mistake is? Also, HOW did you get u(w,0) = x+6? You said w=x+1, but I think we're supposed to have w=x-1?

We know u(x,0) = x+5
=> u(w,0) = w+5 ?
I believe the logic in this step cannot be wrong, consider e.g. f(4z)=cos(4z), now how do we find f(4z-y)? Of course, f(4z-y)=cos(4z-y). How do we find f(z)? Surely, f(z)=cos(z). Right??

u(w,0)
= u(x-1,0) = (x-1)+5
=> u(w,0) = w+5 ?

kingwinner said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following partial differential equation with initial values(IV) and boundary conditions(BC):
ut - k uxx = x + 2t, 1<x<7, t>0
BC: u(1,t) = u(7,t) = 0
IV: u(x,0) = x+5
Our goal is to transform the above to the interval [0,6].
Let w = x-1.
Transform the whole problem to the interval w E [0,6]. (write in terms of w)
ok so how about we try and recude the variable confusion, by introducing another function f(w,t) defined by
[tex]
f(w,t) = u(x(w),t)[/tex]

so the variable change is
[tex]w(x) = x-1[/tex]
and re-arranging in case we need it later
[tex]x(w) = 1+w[/tex]
also differentiating gives
[tex] \frac{dx}{dw} = 1 [/tex]

then, chain rule differentiation gives
[tex] f_{ww} = u_{xx}[/tex]
[tex] f_{t} = u_{t}[/tex]

so the differential equation becomes
[tex] f_t- kf_{ww} = x(w) -2t = 1+w-2t[/tex]

the boundary & initial conditions becomes
[tex] f(0,t) = f(6,t) = 0[/tex]
and
[tex] f(w,0) = u(x(w),0) = x(w) + 5 = w+6 [/tex]

Last edited:

1. How does a change of variables affect the solution of a differential equation?

A change of variables can transform the original differential equation into a new equation, which may be easier to solve or provide new insights into the behavior of the system. It can also help in identifying symmetries and simplifying the equation.

2. What is the purpose of transformation in solving differential equations?

The purpose of transformation in solving differential equations is to simplify the equation, identify patterns or symmetries, and make it easier to find a solution. It can also help in visualizing the behavior of the system and making predictions.

3. How do we choose the appropriate transformation for a specific differential equation?

The choice of transformation depends on the structure and properties of the original differential equation. Some common transformations include substitution, scaling, and linearization. The choice of transformation should result in a simpler, more manageable equation while preserving the essential characteristics of the system.

4. Can a change of variables always lead to a solution of the differential equation?

No, a change of variables does not always guarantee a solution to the differential equation. It can make the equation easier to solve, but it may not always lead to an exact solution. In some cases, numerical methods may be necessary to approximate the solution.

5. How does a change of variables affect the boundary conditions of a differential equation?

A change of variables can change the form of the boundary conditions in the new equation. It is important to ensure that the transformed boundary conditions are consistent with the original ones to obtain a valid solution. In some cases, additional conditions may need to be imposed to satisfy the transformed equation.