1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of variable (what happens with the area?)

1. Aug 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Dear friends,

let U and V independent variables that are both defined on [-∏, ∏] and are uniformly distributed.
    If x = cos(U + V) and y = sin(U-V), what is the area where the variables X and Y are defined?

2. Relevant equations
    U + V = arccos(x)
    U - V = arcsin(y)
    For a test if we have chosen the right area, we can deploy probability density function f_(x,y) = f(u(x,y),v(x,y)*J(x,y), where J(x,y) is a Jacobian determinant.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt: x and y have minimum and maximum at -1 and 1, respectively.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me, since this exercise is beyond my level of knowledge. If I have to remove the exercise to any other forum, feel free to remove the issue. Wish you all a pleasant day!:)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation ##f_{X,Y}(x,y) = f(u(x,y),v(x,y)) J(x,y)## is not correct in this case, because the transformation is not "monotone" (always increasing or always decreasing). The functions ##\sin## and ##\cos## have graphs that oscillate, sometimes going up and sometimes down, and that means that a single point (x,y) can have several "preimages" (u,v).

However, if all you want to know is the range of (X,Y) then you are correct: it is a square made from the two intervals ##X \in [-1,1], \: Y \in [-1,1]##.

4. Aug 18, 2014 #3
    I am really thankful for your response!
    Now it is getting exciting!!! :) I am interested how would we calculate ##f_{X,Y}(x,y)##?

5. Aug 19, 2014 #4
    Dear all, I have another question. :) How many pre-images has each (x,y)?

6. Aug 19, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##0 < x,y < 1## there are four solutions of ##\cos(s) = x, \; s \in [-2 \pi,2 \pi]## and four solutions of ##\sin(t) = y, \; t \in [-2 \pi,2 \pi]##. These are ##s_1 = a \equiv \arccos(x), s_2 = -a, s_3 = 2\pi - a, s_4 = a - 2 \pi## and ##t_1 = b \equiv \arcsin(y), t_2 = \pi-b, t_3 = -\pi-b, t_4 = b- 2\pi##. Therefore, there are 16 points ##(u,v)## of the form ##(s_i,t_j)##. However, for any choice of ##x,y \in (0,1)## only 8 of these points will also satisfy the individual bounds ##u,v \in [-\pi,\pi]##. In other words, for each ##(x,y)## there are 8 feasible ##(u,v)##, and all have the same absolute value of the Jacobian determinant. This implies that
    [tex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = \frac{8 f_{U,V}(u_i,v_i)}{J\left(\frac{x,y}{u,v}\right)}[/tex]
    Since
    [tex] f_{U,V}(u,v) = \frac{1}{4 \pi^2}[/tex]
    and
    [tex] J\left(\frac{x,y}{u,v}\right) = 2|\sin(u+v)||\cos(v-u)| = 2 \sqrt{1-x^2}\sqrt{1-y^2}[/tex]
    we finally obtain
    [tex] f_{X,Y}(x,y) = \frac{1}{\pi^2 \sqrt{1-x^2} \sqrt{1-y^2}}. [/tex]

Note: showing that 8 of the 16 points (u,v) are feasible is a tedious case-by-case verification exercise.

All the above was for ##0 < x,y < 1##. The other cases can be shown by the same type of argument all over again, or more simply by transforming them to the first case (by using ##-U## or ##-V## instead of ##U## and ##V##, etc.

Altogether, we see that the formula above for ##f_{X,Y}(x,y)## holds for all ##x,y \in (-1,1)##.

7. Aug 23, 2014 #6
    I am really thankful for your response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted