Given a transformation of the plane F(x,y) = (2x+y,x-2y), find F^-1.

In summary, the inverse of a transformation is a function that undoes the original transformation by mapping the output back to the original input values. To find the inverse, the original transformation can be set up as an equation with variables x and y, and then solved for u and v, which represent the inverse function. The purpose of finding the inverse is to retrieve the original input values and it can only be done for bijective transformations. The inverse of a transformation is typically written as f<sup>-1</sup>, with f representing the original transformation.
kris89

Homework Statement

Given a transformation of the plane F(x,y) = (2x+y,x-2y), find F-1.

Homework Equations

Actually this exercise had an item (a) which I had to prove this is a transformation. So I proved this function is injective and surjective.

I know F(x,y) = (u,v) IFF F-1(u,v) = (x,y).

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it, but I don't know if this is the real solution...

F(x,y) = (u,v) IFF F-1(u,v) = (x,y).
u = 2x + y
v = x - 2y
Solving this, I concluded that: x = (v+2u)/5 and y = (u-2v)/5
Is this the solution? F-1 = ((v+2u)/5, (u-2v)/5) or do I have to do anything else?

Physics news on Phys.org
kris89 said:

Homework Statement

Given a transformation of the plane F(x,y) = (2x+y,x-2y), find F-1.

Homework Equations

Actually this exercise had an item (a) which I had to prove this is a transformation. So I proved this function is injective and surjective.

I know F(x,y) = (u,v) IFF F-1(u,v) = (x,y).

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it, but I don't know if this is the real solution...

F(x,y) = (u,v) IFF F-1(u,v) = (x,y).
u = 2x + y
v = x - 2y
Solving this, I concluded that: x = (v+2u)/5 and y = (u-2v)/5
Is this the solution? F-1 = ((v+2u)/5, (u-2v)/5) or do I have to do anything else?
Not quite. You should write the inverse as F-1(u, v) = ((v+2u)/5, (u-2v)/5).

You've done most of the work already. All that's left is to show that F-1(u, v) = (x, y). Replace u and v by what you have above, and use the formula for F-1 that you found.

Last edited:
Alternatively, your teacher may prefer functions written in "x" and "y". In that case, replace your "u" with "x" and "v" with y: [itex]F^{-1}(x, y)= ((y+ 2x)/5, (x- 2y)/5)[/itex].

1. What is the inverse of a transformation?

The inverse of a transformation is a function that undoes the original transformation. It takes the output of the original transformation and maps it back to the original input values.

2. How do you find the inverse of a transformation?

To find the inverse of a transformation, you can follow these steps:1. Set up the original transformation as an equation with variables x and y.2. Replace x and y with variables u and v, respectively, to represent the inverse function.3. Solve the equation for u and v in terms of x and y.4. Replace u and v with x and y, respectively, to obtain the inverse function.

3. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a transformation?

Finding the inverse of a transformation allows us to undo the original transformation and retrieve the original input values. This can be useful in solving equations or finding specific points on a graph.

4. Can every transformation be inverted?

No, not every transformation can be inverted. Only bijective transformations, which have a one-to-one correspondence between input and output, can be inverted.

5. How is the inverse of a transformation written?

The inverse of a transformation is typically written as f-1, where f represents the original transformation. In this case, the inverse of F(x,y) would be F-1(x,y).