Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer Efficiency Problems

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    Hello,

My friend designs a special transformer, believing that its efficiency will rise and voltage regulation will fall compared to an ordinary one . He did a test with the same resistive load and got results below:

T1(ordinary) Vp=220V 50Hz AC Vs(nl) = 99.8V Vs(fl) = 92.8V Pin = 129W Pout =92.8W
    T2(special) Vp=220V 50Hz AC Vs(nl) = 99.8V Vs(fl) = 96.7V Pin = 130W Pout = 96.7W

where:
    Vp: Primary voltage
    Vs: Secondary voltage
    Pin: Input power from a 220V source. (household outlet)
    Pout: Output power at a load
    All voltages are in RMS

He expected that the input complex power(Sin) of the special transformer should be 100VA with an efficiency of 90%.
    However, the Sin is actually 130VA and the efficiency is about 74.38%. What is the cause of this event?

Thank you
    BlackMelon

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A question well stated is half answered.
    You're asking us to guess .
    Okay -
    Excerpting from your post -
    Sin and Pin should differ by magnetizing VA. So,
    My guess is somebody doesn't know the difference between a volt-amp and a watt.

I cannot can figure out your riddle from what you've given us.

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    Hardy, I agree with you. The current source should supply core loss resistance with a real power, magnetizing inductance with a reactive power, and a leakage inductance with a reactive power also. I mean even without a resistive load, there should be both real and reactive.

The experiment of my friend is strange. The 130VA of a voltage source is purely from a wattage. I ask him twice before posting this.

Also,Neumaier, thank you for the information. I will tell my friend to read this carefully.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted