Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About transformer configuration

1. Feb 17, 2012 #1
    i may need your help for following question.

15kva, 2300/230v, 50Hz transformer has voltage drop of 2% and 4% of load voltage, due to winding resistance and leakage reactance respectively, at full load. 230v is maintained at the secondary terminal. The full load copper loss is equal to the iron loss. All parameters are referred to the secondary side. find

1. the primary voltage at full load and unity power factor
    2. the half load efficiency at 0.8 power factor lagging.
    3. The load power factor at which the voltage regulation would be zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi damithfirst! welcome to pf! :wink:
    you may indeed!

let's find out

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    i am stuck in the begining with this text
    "voltage drop of 2% and 4% of load voltage, due to winding resistance and leakage reactance respectively" what is this means? how can i add this data for any formula.

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi damithfirst! :smile:
    i think you are supposed to ignore the words "due to winding resistance and leakage reactance" …

just read it as "voltage drop of 2% and 4% of load voltage" :wink:

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

""i think you are supposed to ignore the words "due to winding resistance and leakage reactance" …
    ""

seems to me those words could be mighty important - might they suggest a complex impedance?

Take those "givens" one at a time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook