Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer winding resistances R1, R2 and Re1 and inductances

1. Nov 18, 2013 #1
    Hi,

If there are no resistance and impedance parameters given for a single phase transformer, is it possible to work out the values of primary and secondary winding inductance and resistance (r1,r2,re1, x1,x2,xe1 etc) without the use of a short circuit test. The transformer can be tested open circuit to allow core losses and mag current to be found, but if there is no short circuit test conducted, can these parameters be found? I think it is impossible but i would like clarification

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2
    When you've got a system with several degrees of freedom, it's going to take more than one measurement to determine the defining parameters.

In theory, I suppose you could make measurements with several different loads, none of said loads being a short circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook