Transforming 3rd order D.EQ into 1st order

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses transforming a 3rd order differential equation into a system of 1st order differential equations. The attempt at a solution involves expressing the equations in terms of variables y, A, and B, and adding the non-homogenous term t^4cos(2t) as a column vector. The correct system of equations is determined to be y'=A, A'=B, and B'=3B+(-3y+t^4cos(2t)). The conversation also mentions the possibility of solving the equation, which would involve solving the homogenous version first and then guessing solutions to the inhomogenous equation.
hils0005
[SOLVED] Transforming 3rd order D.EQ into 1st order

Homework Statement

Transform the following diff eq into a system of first order diff eqs.

2y''' - 6y'' - y' + 3y =t^4cos(2t)

The Attempt at a Solution

heres what I've done so far:
y =A A'=y'
y' =B B'=y''
y'' =C C'=y'''=6y'' + y' - 3y + t^4cos(2t)

C'=-3A + B + 6C +t^4cos(2t)
B'= C
A'= B

I don't know if this is correct because the initial D.Eq is not homogenous, don't know what to do with the t^4cos(2t)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, of course the system of 1st order ODE won't be homogenous. You started out with an inhomogenous equation. Why should you expect the final answer to be homogenous? You don't need C at all. You only need to express as a system of 3 linear ODE with variables y,A,B. You don't have to let A=y. Just use y itself. Once you've done that you can simply just add in the t^4cos2t as a column vector to the right of the RHS.

Here's what I have:

[tex]y'=A[/tex]
[tex]A'=B[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left(\begin{array}{cc}y\\A\\B\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1&0\\0&0&1\\-\frac{3}{2}&\frac{1}{2}&-3\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}y\\A\\B\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\\t^4cos2t\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Are you required to solve this?

No just need to set up the equations
so the equation would look like:
y'=A
A'=B
B'=(-3y+t^4cos2t) + (A+t^4cos2t) - (6B+t^4cos2t)

not sure why you multiplied B' by 1/2, and also how did you come up with -3B not a positive 3B??

I see I forgot the coefficent 2 before y''', still can't see how you get -3B and not positive 3B

your solution does look correct.
If you actually wanted to solve this, you would probably first solve the homogenous version of the equation, then using that result... essentially guess solutions to the inhomogenous equation (the actual equation).

hils0005 said:
I see I forgot the coefficent 2 before y''', still can't see how you get -3B and not positive 3B
You're right about that; it should be 3B, not -3B.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left(\begin{array}{cc}y\\A\\B\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1&0\\0&0&1\\-\frac{3}{2}&\frac{1}{2}&3\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}y\\A\\B\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0\\0\\t^4cos2t\end{array}\right)[/tex]

1. Why do we need to transform 3rd order differential equations into 1st order?

Transforming 3rd order differential equations into 1st order makes them easier to solve and analyze. It also allows for the use of numerical methods and computer programs to solve the equations.

2. How do we transform a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order?

To transform a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order, we introduce new variables and rewrite the equation as a system of 1st order equations. This can be done using substitution or by introducing new functions.

3. What are the benefits of transforming a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order?

Transforming a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order makes it easier to analyze the behavior of the system and determine its stability. It also allows for the use of numerical methods and computer programs to solve the equations.

4. Are there any limitations to transforming a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order?

There are some cases where it may not be possible to transform a 3rd order differential equation into 1st order. This is usually due to the complexity of the equation or the presence of singular points.

5. Can we transform any higher order differential equations into 1st order?

Yes, we can transform any higher order differential equations into 1st order using similar methods as transforming 3rd order equations. However, the complexity of the equation may increase with higher order equations.