1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations: linearity principle

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the linear system:
    dx/dt=x-y
    dy/dt=x+3y

a. show that the function (x(t), y(t))=(te2t, -(t+1)e2t) is a solution to the differential equation (easy)
    b. Solve the initial value problem
    dx/dt=x-y
    dy/dt=x+3y

y(0)=(0,2)

need help with part b not a
    2. Relevant equations
    linarity principle
    y(t)=k1y1(t) +k2y2(t)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Really don't even know where to start. I understand how to use the linearity principle with two given solutions but not one. I feel like I am missing a very fundamental idea about initial value problems. So any idea on where I should begin with just one given solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is confusing. y(0) is a single number. Did you write 0,2 to mean the same thing as 0.2? If not, what's the initial condition for x(0)?
    Which is what?

4. Mar 15, 2016 #3
    please see the following to get an idea of the question-
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/Linear.aspx

5. Mar 16, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks like you are confusing two different notations. In your equations, dx/dt= x- y and dy/dt= x+ ,you have x and y as scalar functions but here you have y as a vector function with the previous x and y as components. In your original notation, you want x(0)= 0, y(0)= 2.
    Are you required to use the given solution? There are several different ways of solving such a system of equations. For one, you could write it as a matrix equation:
    [tex]\frac{d\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}}{dx}= \begin{pmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    and it is easy to "diagonalize" that matrix.

Or, differentiating the first equation again, [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] and replace that [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] with the second equation- [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- (x+ 3y)[/itex] and replace that "y" with [itex]y= x- \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] from the first equation again.
    [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}= \frac{dx}{dt}- x- 3(x- \frac{dx}{dt})= 4\frac{dx}{dt}- 4x[/itex]. Can you solve [itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}- 4\frac{dx}{dt}+ 4x= 0[/itex] with initial conditions x(0)= (0), x'(0)= x(0)- y(0)= 0- 2= -2?

6. Mar 16, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not so easy. There's a repeated eigenvalue with only one eigenvector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted