Initial Value Problem using Laplace Transform help?

In summary, the conversation is about using Laplace transforms to solve an initial value problem, with the restriction of not using partial fractions. The solution is given as y = 2(e^2t)*cosht + 4(e^2t)*sinht, and the student is unsure of how the teacher arrived at this solution. The teacher encourages the use of properties of Laplace transforms instead of partial fractions.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

Use laplace transforms to find following initial value problem -- there is no credit for partial fractions. (i assume my teach is against using it..)

y'' - 4y' + 3y = 0 ; y(0)=2 y'(0) = 8

Homework Equations

table.JPG

Lf'' = ((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)
Lf' = sF - f(0)
Lf = F(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt is of course realizing that the above equation is expressed in terms of 't'. So I must take the laplace transform on both sides.L(y'') - 4 L(y') + 3L(y) = L(0)

[((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)] - 4 [ sF - f(0) ] + 3 [F(s)] = 0 (substituted with the above equations)

(s^2)*F - 2s - 8 - 4s*F(s) + 8 + 3*F(s) = 0 (plugged in the initial values)

Y(s)*[s^2 - 4s + 3] - 8 = 0

Y(s) = 8 / [s^2 - 4s + 3]

Knowing that s^2 + as + b = (s + a/2 ) ^ 2 + b - ((a^2)/4)
I get: (s-2)^2 - 1 for the denominator.

Y(s) = 8 / [(s-2)^2 - 1 ]At this final step...I am not sure how I will be able to transform to Y(t) again if I am not allowed to use "Partial Fractions"? Any assistance would be truly appreciated. Thanks!
The solution for this problem is :
y = 2(e^2t)*cosht + 4(e^2t)*sinht

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aristotle said:

Homework Statement

Use laplace transforms to find following initial value problem -- there is no credit for partial fractions. (i assume my teach is against using it..)

y'' - 4y' + 3y = 0 ; y(0)=2 y'(0) = 8

Homework Equations

View attachment 91182
Lf'' = ((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)
Lf' = sF - f(0)
Lf = F(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt is of course realizing that the above equation is expressed in terms of 't'. So I must take the laplace transform on both sides.L(y'') - 4 L(y') + 3L(y) = L(0)

[((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)] - 4 [ sF - f(0) ] + 3 [F(s)] = 0 (substituted with the above equations)

(s^2)*F - 2s - 8 - 4s*F(s) + 8 + 3*F(s) = 0 (plugged in the initial values)

Y(s)*[s^2 - 4s + 3] - 8 = 0

Y(s) = 8 / [s^2 - 4s + 3]

Knowing that s^2 + as + b = (s + a/2 ) ^ 2 + b - ((a^2)/4)
I get: (s-2)^2 - 1 for the denominator.

Y(s) = 8 / [(s-2)^2 - 1 ]At this final step...I am not sure how I will be able to transform to Y(t) again if I am not allowed to use "Partial Fractions"? Any assistance would be truly appreciated. Thanks!
The solution for this problem is :
y = 2(e^2t)*cosht + 4(e^2t)*sinht

I would immediately take off marks because you do not stick with one single notation--either y or F or f, but not y as well as both F and f and in the same problem and standing for the same quantity.

Anyway, you can get the inverse transform of 1/(s^2 - 1) from your table; and you ought to know the relationship between the inverse transforms of G(s) and G(s-2). You really do not need partial fractions, and the instructor is right in forcing you to avoid them---it makes you learn to use some important properties of LTs that will be useful to you later in life.

Ray Vickson said:
I would immediately take off marks because you do not stick with one single notation--either y or F or f, but not y as well as both F and f and in the same problem and standing for the same quantity.

Anyway, you can get the inverse transform of 1/(s^2 - 1) from your table; and you ought to know the relationship between the inverse transforms of G(s) and G(s-2). You really do not need partial fractions, and the instructor is right in forcing you to avoid them---it makes you learn to use some important properties of LTs that will be useful to you later in life.
Using the shift theorem from Y(s) = 8 / [(s-2)^2 - 1] , I get Y(t) = 8 * L^(-1){1 / (s^2 - 1)}... 8*sinht*e^t.

I still don't know how my teacher got y = 2(e^2t)*cosht + 4(e^2t)*sinht

Aristotle said:
Using the shift theorem from Y(s) = 8 / [(s-2)^2 - 1] , I get Y(t) = 8 * L^(-1){1 / (s^2 - 1)}... 8*sinht*e^t.

I still don't know how my teacher got y = 2(e^2t)*cosht + 4(e^2t)*sinht

Well, for one thing, you have an incorrect ##Y(s)##: the denominator is OK but the numerator is wrong.

Ray Vickson said:
Well, for one thing, you have an incorrect ##Y(s)##: the denominator is OK but the numerator is wrong.

My mistake.
Never mind, I solved it. Thank you!

1. What is an Initial Value Problem (IVP)?

An Initial Value Problem is a type of mathematical equation that involves finding the solution to a differential equation with a given set of initial conditions. These conditions typically include the value of the function at a specific point in the domain and the derivative of the function at that point.

2. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve differential equations by converting them into algebraic equations.

3. How is the Laplace Transform used to solve Initial Value Problems?

The Laplace Transform can be used to solve Initial Value Problems by transforming the given differential equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and inverse Laplace Transform.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transform to solve Initial Value Problems?

Using the Laplace Transform to solve Initial Value Problems has several advantages. It allows for the use of algebraic techniques to solve differential equations, which can be more straightforward and efficient than using traditional methods. It also provides a general solution that is valid for a wide range of initial conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform for solving Initial Value Problems?

While the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving Initial Value Problems, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for solving certain types of differential equations, such as those with discontinuous or singular functions. It also requires knowledge of complex analysis and may not be as intuitive as other methods for solving differential equations.