1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor base-emitter voltage needed for a current to flow

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    what base-emitter voltage is needed for a current to flow through the trasnsistor?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    One forward p-n junction drop, about 0.65 volts, as the b-e junction is just a forward biased diode. This varies with temperature and current. At high temp and low current, the Vbe may fall to 0.50 V, and may exceed 0.80 V at low temp and high current. But, 0.65 V is a good first order approximation to use as a starting point. I hope this helps.

Claude

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This was discussed in stewarcs's reference (see Base-Emitter Junction Details)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  6. Mar 15, 2008 #5

CEL

In reality, any forward voltage will make current flow from base to emitter, but low voltages will originate very small currents.

7. Mar 15, 2008 #6
    No matter what answer I give, someone can always "one up" me and add something I omitted. So allow me to return the favor. Even with a base-emitter forward voltage drop of *zero* volts (b-e short-circuited), some collector current will indeed flow. This is "Iceo", and if the base-emitter junction is open, the current is "Icbo". These are leakage currents from the reverse biased collector to base and emitter terminals.

I interpreted the OP's question from a practical utilitarian sense that one uses a transistor to obtain power gain greater than unity. If a low powered signal source such as a microcontroller, transducer, etc. is used to actuate a higher powered device such as a solenoid, lamp, motor, etc., operating a bjt with Ib = 250 nA, & Vbe = 0.40 V is of no practical use. It was understood by me that the OP intended for the bjt to do something useful. If the bjt application is that of linear amplification, the dc bias point, or "quiescent point", is generally in the neighborhood of 0.10 to 10 mA, and 0.60 to 0.70 V.

Unless one is using the bjt as the logging element in a logarithmic amp/converter, Vbe = 0.65 V give or take a tad, twice that for a Darlington, is where it operates. When using a bjt as a switch or an amplifier, the 0.65 V value for the Vbe forward drop is a *darn good* first order approximation. Peace and BR.

Claude

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  8. Mar 15, 2008 #7

CEL

I was not nitpicking your post. The 0.6 to 0.7 V figure is in any elementary book about transistors, so I don't think anyone would ask such a question in this forum. I supposed that the OP was interested in knowing if a very small voltage would produce a base current independently of any practical application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?