1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistors used in DSP, Microprocessors and Microcontrollers

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    how is dsp different from devices which contain microprocessors?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2
    Which transistor in action. Is it BJT, FET? And why?

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    MOSFETs. They switch faster and draw less current than other types of transistors.

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4
    MOSFET can be much faster because it does not go into saturation( forward forward biasing) like the BJT, even the schottky can only speed up so much.

BUT at high speed, MOSFET draw even more current than BJT because of the drive that needed to drive the input capacitance of the gate and the current surge at the transition where both the transistor of the complementarity pair turn on . Look at the Icc vs speed of switching and you'll see at certain switching speed, CMOS draw more power than BJT ICs.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  6. Aug 25, 2011 #5
    There should be no difference. DSP is digital signal processing, that is far as my understanding unless there is other meaning after I left the industry!!!! If so, that is only a name, has nothing to do with the technology.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You need to show some effort before we can offer tutorial help. I've moved your posts from EE to Homework Help where they belong. In the future, please do some research and show some effort in your schoolwork questions here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook