1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Probability of Hydrogen atom in an electric field

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    A hydrogen atom is in its ground state and is subject to an external electric field of

E = ε([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])e-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]

I'm confused as to how to compute the matrix elements of the perturbed hamiltonian since this is not in the z direction.

Would I have to do something like this?

H'ba = -pE = -qεe-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]<[itex]\psi[/itex]b|([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])|[itex]\psi[/itex]a>

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

If I remember this stuff correctly, then yes. You're just using a unit vector in the direction of the electric field rather than in the z direction. Alternatively, you could rotate your coordinate system so that the electric field points in the z direction, solve the problem, and then rotate your solution back to the original coordinates.

4. Dec 7, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't you take the dot product of the electric field with the dipole moment vector operator: ##\vec{p} = q\vec{r}= q(x \hat{x} + y \hat{y}+z \hat{z})##?

5. Dec 7, 2012 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Oh yes, somehow I completely missed the fact that there was no dot product in the original post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook