Transition Probability of Hydrogen atom in an electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jmm5872
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
A hydrogen atom is in its ground state and is subject to an external electric field of

E = ε([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])e-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]

I'm confused as to how to compute the matrix elements of the perturbed hamiltonian since this is not in the z direction.

Would I have to do something like this?

H'ba = -pE = -qεe-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]<[itex]\psi[/itex]b|([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])|[itex]\psi[/itex]a>

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember this stuff correctly, then yes. You're just using a unit vector in the direction of the electric field rather than in the z direction. Alternatively, you could rotate your coordinate system so that the electric field points in the z direction, solve the problem, and then rotate your solution back to the original coordinates.
 
Shouldn't you take the dot product of the electric field with the dipole moment vector operator: ##\vec{p} = q\vec{r}= q(x \hat{x} + y \hat{y}+z \hat{z})##?
 
Oh yes, somehow I completely missed the fact that there was no dot product in the original post.