Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transition Probability of Hydrogen atom in an electric field

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    A hydrogen atom is in its ground state and is subject to an external electric field of

E = ε([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])e-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]

I'm confused as to how to compute the matrix elements of the perturbed hamiltonian since this is not in the z direction.

Would I have to do something like this?

H'ba = -pE = -qεe-t/[itex]\tau[/itex]<[itex]\psi[/itex]b|([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]+2[itex]\hat{z}[/itex])|[itex]\psi[/itex]a>

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

If I remember this stuff correctly, then yes. You're just using a unit vector in the direction of the electric field rather than in the z direction. Alternatively, you could rotate your coordinate system so that the electric field points in the z direction, solve the problem, and then rotate your solution back to the original coordinates.

4. Dec 7, 2012 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Shouldn't you take the dot product of the electric field with the dipole moment vector operator: ##\vec{p} = q\vec{r}= q(x \hat{x} + y \hat{y}+z \hat{z})##?

5. Dec 7, 2012 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Oh yes, somehow I completely missed the fact that there was no dot product in the original post.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook