Translation of Sentence Into An Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter zolton5971
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary, the equation for "The difference of a number times 8 and 5 is 3" is 8c-5=3. To simplify, you can solve for c by adding 5 to both sides, then dividing both sides by 8. The simplified equation would be c=1.
zolton5971
Translate the sentence into an equation.

The difference of a number times 8 and 5 is 3.

Use the variable c for the unknown number.

How do I write this as an equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zolton5971 said:

Starting with \(\displaystyle c\) - how would you represent multiplying this by 8?

edit: these do seem hard to begin with but get clearer with practice :)

Would it be 8c*5=3?

Im struggling with this one!

zolton5971 said:

The difference of a number $a$ and $b$ means that you substract the number $b$ from $a$.

You have a number $c$ times $8$, so you multiply $c$ by $8$ ($8 \cdot c$) and you want to find the difference from this number and $5$ and this difference is equal to $3$.

So you get the following equation:

$$8c-5=3$$

Ok thanks so the answer is 8c-5=3? Do I need to simplify it at all?

zolton5971 said:
Ok thanks so the answer is 8c-5=3?

Yes! (Smile)

zolton5971 said:
Do I need to simplify it at all?

You could solve for $c$.

1. How do you translate a sentence into an equation?

To translate a sentence into an equation, you need to identify the key mathematical operations and variables present in the sentence. Then, you can use symbols, such as +, -, *, /, and =, to represent these operations and variables in the equation.

2. What is the purpose of translating a sentence into an equation?

The purpose of translating a sentence into an equation is to solve mathematical problems and represent real-life situations using mathematical language. It allows us to apply mathematical concepts and principles to solve problems and make predictions.

3. What are some common words and phrases that indicate mathematical operations in a sentence?

Some common words and phrases that indicate mathematical operations in a sentence include "sum of," "difference between," "product of," "quotient of," "more than," "less than," "increased by," and "decreased by." These words and phrases can help you identify the mathematical operations to be used in the equation.

4. How do you handle non-numeric words and phrases when translating a sentence into an equation?

Non-numeric words and phrases, such as "twice," "half of," and "square root of," should be translated into their corresponding mathematical symbols. For example, "twice a number" can be represented as 2x, where x is the variable representing the number.

5. Can you provide an example of translating a sentence into an equation?

Sure. Let's say the sentence is "The sum of twice a number and 5 is equal to 15." The equation would be 2x + 5 = 15, where x represents the number. We can solve for x by subtracting 5 from both sides of the equation, giving us 2x = 10. Then, dividing both sides by 2, we get the solution x = 5.