Translation of Sentence Into An Equation

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter zolton5971
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Translation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
zolton5971
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Translate the sentence into an equation.

The difference of a number times 8 and 5 is 3.

Use the variable c for the unknown number.

How do I write this as an equation?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
zolton5971 said:
Translate the sentence into an equation.

The difference of a number times 8 and 5 is 3.

Use the variable c for the unknown number.

How do I write this as an equation?

Starting with $$c$$ - how would you represent multiplying this by 8?

edit: these do seem hard to begin with but get clearer with practice :)
 
Would it be 8c*5=3?

Im struggling with this one!
 
zolton5971 said:
Translate the sentence into an equation.

The difference of a number times 8 and 5 is 3.

Use the variable c for the unknown number.

How do I write this as an equation?

The difference of a number $a$ and $b$ means that you substract the number $b$ from $a$.

You have a number $c$ times $8$, so you multiply $c$ by $8$ ($8 \cdot c$) and you want to find the difference from this number and $5$ and this difference is equal to $3$.

So you get the following equation:

$$8c-5=3$$
 
Ok thanks so the answer is 8c-5=3? Do I need to simplify it at all?
 
zolton5971 said:
Ok thanks so the answer is 8c-5=3?

Yes! (Smile)

zolton5971 said:
Do I need to simplify it at all?

You could solve for $c$.