Just for fun: math brain teaser

In summary, the conversation discusses different solutions to the equation a+b = a+a*b, with examples given for 1+1*4=5, 2+2*5=12, 3+3*6=21, and 8+8*11=96. The speaker mentions their friend getting 40 as a possible solution, but notes that there are infinitely many possibilities for constructing a building rule for this equation. They also mention other rules that could match, such as ##a \oplus b = ab+b-3## and ##a \oplus b = a^2+4a##. The conversation ends with a discussion about the solution of 40 and how it fits into the pattern established in
whig4life
TL;DR Summary
Just for fun, let me know if I am
116A4401-CCBB-420B-8AEA-748B507DB7A9.jpeg

My answer looks like this (translating from my pen+paper notepad):
a+b = a+a*b

1+1*4=5

2+2*5=12

3+3*6=21

8+8*11=96

my friend got 40, which I can also see. I am not sure who is correct. Please let me know and let’s put our heads together and have fun.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I get ##201##

I had 96, too, but there is no unique solution. In fact, there are infinitely many possibilities to construct a building rule.

Likes sysprog
fresh_42 said:
I had 96, too, but there is no unique solution. In fact, there are infinitely many possibilities to construct a building rule.

Hello my friend, and thanks for the reply. How did you arrive at 96, was it similar to my method?

whig4life said:
Hello my friend, and thanks for the reply. How did you arrive at 96, was it similar to my method?
It was exactly your approach. Appeared to be the easiest way.

whig4life said:
Summary:: Just for fun, let me know if I am

My answer looks like this (translating from my pen+paper notepad):
a+b = a+a*b
That seems the most obvious solution, and one that matches the first three examples.

Three other rules that match, using the common b-a=3 in all examples:
##a \oplus b = ab+b-3##
##a \oplus b = a^2+4a##
##a \oplus b = b^2-2b-3##

As the open problem has b-a=3, too, all these rules lead to 96.

$$\begin{align}
1 + 4 &= 5_{10} = 5_6 \\
2 + 5 &= 7_{10} = 12_5 \\
3 + 6 &= 9_{10} = 21_4 \\
8 + 11 &= 19_{10} = 201_3
\end{align}$$
What answer do you want?

if
1 + 4 = 5
2 + 5 = 12 [12=5+2+5]
3 + 6 = 21 [21=12+3+6]
8 + 11 = 40 [40=21+8+11]

1. What is a "Just for fun: math brain teaser"?

A "Just for fun: math brain teaser" is a type of puzzle or problem that involves using mathematical concepts and logic to solve it. It is meant to be a fun and entertaining way to exercise the brain and improve problem-solving skills.

2. How difficult are "Just for fun: math brain teasers"?

The difficulty of "Just for fun: math brain teasers" can vary depending on the specific puzzle or problem. Some may be relatively easy to solve, while others may require more advanced mathematical knowledge and critical thinking skills.

3. Are "Just for fun: math brain teasers" only for math experts?

No, "Just for fun: math brain teasers" can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their level of mathematical expertise. They are designed to be challenging yet accessible to a wide range of people.

4. How can "Just for fun: math brain teasers" benefit me?

Solving "Just for fun: math brain teasers" can help improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and overall mental agility. It can also be a fun and engaging way to learn and practice mathematical concepts.

5. Where can I find "Just for fun: math brain teasers" to solve?

"Just for fun: math brain teasers" can be found in various places, such as puzzle books, online websites and forums, and even in some newspapers and magazines. You can also create your own brain teasers to challenge yourself and others.