Transmission in Single Mode Waveguide

In summary: The waveguide, like all RF components has a frequency response. That is you can plot how it responds to a change in applied frequency. So, if you have a rectangular waveguide, you can plot the frequency response of the waveguide and see that it has a cutoff at a certain frequency. Above that frequency, it will pass the waveguide freely. But below that frequency, multi-moding will occur and the waveguide will lose the signal.
TinaTina
Hello there,

I was wondering if the power profile of a single mode waveguide can be changed? I mean, a wave that travels through the waveguide will have a harmonic shape, right? Is it possible to get a different shape of the power profile?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
TinaTina said:
Hello there,

I was wondering if the power profile of a single mode waveguide can be changed? I mean, a wave that travels through the waveguide will have a harmonic shape, right? Is it possible to get a different shape of the power profile?

Thank you :)
The cross sectional shape of the 'guide can be changed, for instance, to a dumb bell, or from round to rectangular. The walls can be loaded with dielectric, or by inserting screws. But essentially, a waveguide guides a wave, and its contents will be wave-like!

TinaTina said:
I was wondering if the power profile of a single mode waveguide can be changed?
What exactly do you mean by "power profile'?
Is there some reference you can give us to help get some context here?

Thank you for your replies. Well, when I simulate a waveguide, I can look at the input over the output profile. Does that make sense?

TinaTina said:
the output profile
Do you mean the Field distribution over the end? Do we have a translation problem here?

So, the field distribution would be a cross section of the waveguide, right? What I meant with the "output profile" was more like the Power Profile. So the question is: can I have a power profile of a single mode waveguide that is for example rectangular shaped?

TinaTina said:
So, the field distribution would be a cross section of the waveguide, right? What I meant with the "output profile" was more like the Power Profile. So the question is: can I have a power profile of a single mode waveguide that is for example rectangular shaped?

your term power profile still doesn't really make sense
do you understand how the electric and magnetic fields look inside a waveguide ?

maybe you should have labelled your thread as B for basic

have you seen these diagrams before ? ...

dJQW1.png
vectors.gif

Thank you for your reply, daevnn. Sorry, I might have labelled it wrong. It is probably a basics problem. Yes, I have seen these before. I think I understand how the waves propagate. What I tried to say is: when I "cut" the waveguide (like a cross section), I will get a sinusoidal function for the E-field for example. Because this is how the waves propagate, just like in the pictures you send. But if I simulate a device, I can also plot the input-output profile of this device, which is like the spectral response, right?

So, if I for example have a single mode waveguide coming into a multimode wavguide this will create an interference pattern and self-imaging, right? At some points, I will get an overlap of two images, which creates a "rectangular" shape of the crosssection, instead of a sinusoidal function (because it is two sinusoidal functions overlapping and creating a broader, flattened function). Can I transfer this flat image into a single mode waveguide if I put a single mode waveguide behind the multimode waveguide?

TinaTina said:
But if I simulate a device, I can also plot the input-output profile of this device,

when you say device, are you referring to the waveguide or something else ?

TinaTina said:
which is like the spectral response, right?

The waveguide, like all RF components has a frequency response. That is you can plot how it responds to a change in applied frequency

Waveguide is basically a high pass filter. It will only pass frequencies above a certain frequency ( for a given size waveguide)
that lower frequency is called the cutoff frequency.
A note to be made ... although the WG will pass all higher frequencies, above a certain point multi-moding will occur and this will
lead to losses ( greater attenuation) of the signal.
As a result, WG has a stated lower freq of use ( the cutoff frequency) and a high end freq limit before which moding occursDave

@TinaTina Why do you insist on using a term that no one but you understands? "Power Profile" means absolutely nothing to anyone else but you. If you want to take Physics seriously, you should be prepared to use a common language. If nothing else, it would be polite and would show some respect for the subject.
TinaTina said:
But if I simulate a device, I can also plot the input-output profile of this device, which is like the spectral response, right?
For a simulation to be valid, it has to represent a real world item. (Garbage in = Garbage out, remember) Dave has shown you field distributions for real waveguides and those fields are there because of the boundary conditions with the wall of the guide. Are you proposing that you can change the fields at the walls? How would you achieve that?
TinaTina said:
spectral response,
?

1. What is single mode waveguide transmission?

Single mode waveguide transmission is a method of transmitting light or electromagnetic signals through a waveguide that only supports one mode of propagation. This means that the signal travels in a single, well-defined path without any interference from other modes.

2. How does single mode waveguide transmission work?

Single mode waveguide transmission works by confining the light or electromagnetic signal within a small, narrow core surrounded by a cladding material with a lower refractive index. This causes the signal to travel in a straight line without any reflections or disturbances.

3. What is the difference between single mode and multimode waveguide transmission?

The main difference between single mode and multimode waveguide transmission is the number of modes supported. Single mode waveguides only support one mode, while multimode waveguides support multiple modes. This affects the amount of data that can be transmitted and the distance the signal can travel without losing its quality.

4. What are the advantages of single mode waveguide transmission?

Single mode waveguide transmission offers several advantages, including higher bandwidth, longer transmission distances, and better signal quality. It is also less susceptible to external interference, making it ideal for long-distance communication and data transmission.

5. What are the applications of single mode waveguide transmission?

Single mode waveguide transmission is commonly used in telecommunications, fiber optic communications, and data centers. It is also used in medical imaging, laser sensors, and other high-speed data transmission applications where high bandwidth and low signal loss are crucial.