Transmission Line (simple Prob)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding a distortionless transmission line with specific impedance, capacitance, and attenuation values. The conversation goes on to solve for the resistance, inductance, conductance, wave propagation velocity, and relative amplitude of a voltage after a certain distance. The solution involves using the equations Zo = SQRT(L/C) and R/L = G/C, as well as understanding the relationship between R and Ro and the units of α. The conversation concludes with a clear understanding of the problem and its solution.
tim9000

Homework Statement

Incase formatting of numerical answers below is weird, please see attached picture of question.

"Consider a distortionless transmission line with impedance 50 Ω, capacitance 0.1
nF/m and attenuation 0.01 dB/m. Find:
(a) the resistance, inductance and conductance of the line
(b) the wave propagation velocity in the line
(c) the relative amplitude of a voltage after it has traveled a distance of 2 km in
the line.
[Ans. (a) R = 0.057 Ω/m, L = 2.5 x 10
H/m, G = 2.3 x 10
S/m; (b) v = 2 x 10
m/s;
(c) 10%]."

Homework Equations

Zo = SQRT(L/C)

For distortionless line

R/L = G/C

The Attempt at a Solution

Part b) is easy (from u = 1/Sqrt(LC))

However, I assume Zo = 50 ohms, as it let's me find L = 502*0.1n = 2.5E-7

But then what the devil do they mean in the numerical answer given for R = 0.057ohm/m?
and what is with the conductance G? that isn't 1/any R value. Is that conductance and R wrong?

More pressingly though, my log is really rusty! this is where I'm most confused, I've been messing around with e^-attenuationconstant*distance and a loss = 0.01dB = 20 log(V1/V0) formula but I'm not sure if that's the right approach as I'm not getting anywhere?

Could anyone offer an opinion and if possible show me how the loss is 10% over 2km?

Thanks heaps!

Attachments

• TL Q.PNG
    TL Q.PNG
    16.5 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're given attenuation you can immediately get R since you know Z_zero.
Then, what relates R,L,C and G in a distortionless line?

Knowing just L and C enables you to find the phase (wave propagation) velocity.
Part (c) should be evident from the attenuation number. You know the attenuation constant and the line length ...

So as I said, R = Zo right?
Well why is that R = 0.057 ohm/m and not 50ohm/m? In the numerical solution (in picture)
And G, what R is that the inverse of? Thanks

Last edited:
tim9000 said:
So as I said, R = Zo right?

Well why is that R = 0.057 ohm/m and not 50ohm/m? In the numerical solution (in picture)
And G, what R is that the inverse of?
Thanks

Because R = α Ro, not Ro, where Ro = Re{Zo}.

G is not the inverse of anything significant. G is the conductive leakage per unit length of one conductor to the other. Units are Siemens/m.

BTW what are the units of α in the above expression?

rude man said:
Because R = α Ro, not Ro, where Ro = Re{Zo}.

BTW what are the units of α in the above expression?

Oh, R = α Ro; Alpha is Neper/m, which is 0.115129dB*0.01*50

that makes sense, I'm really confused as to why I'm only learning that is what R is now and why I've never seen that written anywhere before.

So conductance is RC/L.

Thanks, you really cleared that up!

tim9000 said:
Oh, R = α Ro; Alpha is Neper/m, which is 0.115129dB*0.01*50

that makes sense, I'm really confused as to why I'm only learning that is what R is now and why I've never seen that written anywhere before.

So conductance is RC/L.

Thanks, you really cleared that up!

You're on top of it now!

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized type of electrical circuit used to transfer electrical energy from one point to another. It consists of two or more conductors that are separated by a dielectric material and are designed to carry high-frequency signals with minimal loss.

2. What are the types of transmission line?

The two main types of transmission lines are the open-wire line and the coaxial cable. The open-wire line consists of two parallel conductors separated by air, while the coaxial cable has a central conductor surrounded by a dielectric material and an outer conductor, both of which are concentric.

3. How do transmission lines work?

Transmission lines work by creating a balanced electromagnetic field between the conductors, which allows for the efficient transfer of electrical energy. The electromagnetic field propagates along the length of the line and carries the signal from the source to the load.

4. What are the key parameters of a transmission line?

The key parameters of a transmission line include its characteristic impedance, propagation constant, and attenuation. The characteristic impedance is the ratio of voltage to current in the line, the propagation constant determines the speed at which the signal travels, and the attenuation measures the loss of signal strength along the line.

5. What are the applications of transmission lines?

Transmission lines are used in a variety of applications, including telecommunications, power distribution, and radio frequency (RF) systems. They are also essential in the design of electronic devices such as antennas, amplifiers, and filters.