Transverse loading with varing cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum stress in a rectangular beam under a transverse load. The formula for shear stress (τ=VQ/(Ib)) and bending stress (σmax=(-y)*(M/I)) are mentioned, as well as the formula for the moment (M=PL-Px). The individual also mentions trying to use a differential equation to solve for the variation in d, but ultimately uses the formula for maximum bending stress (σmax=(d/2)*P(L-x)/((bd3)/12)) to find the solution.
Dell
Capture.JPG

i know that

τ=VQ/(Ib)

now I am looking for the maximum stress so i will find that at the point at the centre of the rectangle

Q=A*[tex]\bar{y}[/tex]
A=0.5*d*b
[tex]\bar{y}[/tex]=0.25*d
===> Q=0.125d2b

I=(b*d3)/12

τ=VQ/(Ib)
τ=V*0.125d2b*12/((b2*d3)

τ=1.5V/(bd)

now d changes as a function of X

i know that τ is constant from x=0 to x=L
but V is constant throughout and so is b, so how can this be?

i tried making a differential equation where i know d(0)=do and d(L)=0 using dτ/dx=0 but really didnt manage

Physics news on Phys.org
You are calculating max shear stress, but the problem is asking for the variation in d such that max flexure stress (bending stress) under the transverse load P is constant throughout the beam. Try again using the formula for max bending stress.

am i meant to be using -y*(M/I)

i know the following

Ymax=d/2
M=PL-Px=P(L-x)
I=(bd3)/12

therefore

max stress=(d/2)*P(L-x)/((bd3)/12)

and i get
6P(L-x)/(bd2)

from here i got it thanks

1. What is transverse loading with varying cross section?

Transverse loading with varying cross section is a mechanical concept that refers to a type of stress distribution that occurs when a load is applied perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of a structure or object that has a changing cross-sectional area.

2. How does transverse loading with varying cross section affect a structure?

Transverse loading with varying cross section can lead to uneven stress distribution, which can cause bending or buckling of the structure. This can potentially weaken the structure and lead to failure if not properly accounted for.

3. What are the factors that affect transverse loading with varying cross section?

The main factors that affect transverse loading with varying cross section are the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the material properties of the structure, and the geometry of the cross section.

4. How can transverse loading with varying cross section be analyzed?

Transverse loading with varying cross section can be analyzed using mathematical models and engineering principles such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or Finite Element Analysis. These methods take into account the factors that affect transverse loading and can determine the stress and deformation of the structure.

5. What are some real-world examples of transverse loading with varying cross section?

Transverse loading with varying cross section can be observed in many structures, such as bridges, beams, and airplane wings. It can also occur in natural objects like trees, where the cross section varies along the length of the trunk to support the weight of the branches.