Transverse velocity of a standing wave

In summary, we are given a standing wave pattern on a string described by y(x, t) = 0.054 sin (9πx)(cos 72πt), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. For t ≥ 0, we are asked to find the (g) first, (h) second, and (i) third time that all points on the string have zero transverse velocity. To find these times, we need to find the expression for velocity, which is not equal to zero when cos(wt) is equal to pi/2, 3pi/2, and so on.
jhans11

Homework Statement

A standing wave pattern on a string is described by y(x, t) = 0.054 sin (9πx)(cos 72πt), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. For x ≥ 0, what is the location of the node with the (a) smallest, (b) second smallest, and (c) third smallest value of x? (d) What is the period of the oscillatory motion of any (nonnode) point? What are the (e) speed and (f) amplitude of the two traveling waves that interfere to produce this wave? For t ≥ 0, what are the (g) first, (h)second, and (i) third time that all points on the string have zero transverse velocity?

NOTE: I have the answers for A-F, i don't have the answers for g,h,i

Homework Equations

cos(wt)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

for the velocity to equal zero, cos(wt) has to equal to pi/2, 3pi/2, and so on

wt= pi/2
72pi(t)=pi/2
t=1/144
and repeat with 3pi/2, 5pi/2
for t values of 3/144 and 5/144

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

jhans11 said:

Homework Statement

A standing wave pattern on a string is described by y(x, t) = 0.054 sin (9πx)(cos 72πt), where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. For t ≥ 0, what are the (g) first, (h)second, and (i) third time that all points on the string have zero transverse velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

for the velocity to equal zero, cos(wt) has to equal to pi/2, 3pi/2, and so on

It is not true. When cos(wt)=0 the displacement is zero. Find the expression for the velocity.

ehild

1. What is transverse velocity of a standing wave?

Transverse velocity of a standing wave is the speed at which the particles in a standing wave move back and forth perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How is transverse velocity of a standing wave calculated?

Transverse velocity of a standing wave is calculated by dividing the frequency of the wave by its wavelength. This gives the velocity at which the wave's nodes and antinodes move.

3. What factors affect the transverse velocity of a standing wave?

The transverse velocity of a standing wave is affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave, as well as the medium through which it is propagating. It also depends on the tension and density of the medium.

4. Can the transverse velocity of a standing wave be greater than the speed of light?

No, the transverse velocity of a standing wave cannot be greater than the speed of light as this would violate the laws of physics. The speed of light is the maximum velocity at which any object or wave can travel in a vacuum.

5. How does the transverse velocity of a standing wave relate to its amplitude?

The transverse velocity of a standing wave does not depend on its amplitude. It is solely determined by the wave's frequency, wavelength, and medium. The amplitude of a standing wave only affects the displacement of the particles, not their velocity.