Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travelling faster than speed of light

1. Jan 8, 2013 #1
    can we in theory travel faster than light?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No..

4. Jan 8, 2013 #3

Ibix

Science Advisor

Debatable.

Not in the conventional sense, by accelerating with a rocket. Einstein's relativity theory says that you can't accelerate to lightspeed, and the theory has passed every test we've thrown at it.

However, a man called Alcubierre developed a possible loophole. He found a solution to Einstein's equations that described a warp bubble (no, Scotty, I am not joking). You don't move, but you arrange for the patch of space-time around you to move faster than light. There are two problems that I am aware of. One, you need negative mass matter and we've never seen that, nor do we have any idea if it's possible to create. Two, the maths describes a warp bubble already in existence. We have no maths to describe a warp bubble forming or dissipating, and there is some doubt as to whether or not such maths is even possible.

All warp-related scholarship from Wikipedia and the maths is way above my head, so health warnings abound.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook