Triangles and parallel lines problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a given picture and attempts to prove that AC is parallel to BD. The key information is that angle 1 is congruent to angle 4 and angle 2 is congruent to angle 3, and that angle 1 is congruent to angle 2 by "VOA". To prove the parallel lines, it is important to show that angle 4 is congruent to angle 6 or angle 5 is congruent to angle 3. The conversation also mentions the possibility of expressing the measure of angle 3 and angle 5 in relation to other angles, such as angle 1 and angle 2.
lingping7
The picture has the problem and my attempts, I need guidance.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1410174226943.jpg
    1410174226943.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you are given that angle 1 is congruent to angle 4 and angle 2 is congruent to angle 3 (you should say that in the proof). Angle 1 is congruent to angle 2 by "VOA" (vertical angles) so all of angles 1, 2, 3, and 4 are congruent to one another. To prove that AC is parallel to BD, you need to show that angle 4 is congruent to angle 6 or that angle 5 is congruent to angle 3 (alternate interior angles).

Yes that is true, I'm able to get angle 5 = to angle 6, but can't equate either of these angles to angle 1,2,3,4

How can you express the measure of angle 3? Can you express the measure of angle 5 in the same way?
[edit] I think I was transposing the 4 and the 6. >_<

Last edited:
Angle 3 = 180-angle6-angle2
Angle 5 = 180-angle4-angle1
I could say Angle 5 = 180-angle2-angle2
I still don't get it :(

1. What is the relationship between triangles and parallel lines?

The relationship between triangles and parallel lines is that a triangle can have parallel lines within it, and parallel lines can also intersect to form triangles. This relationship is important in geometry and can be used to solve various problems.

2. How do you know if two lines are parallel?

Two lines are parallel if they never intersect, meaning they are always the same distance apart. Another way to determine if two lines are parallel is by using the slope-intercept form of a line. If the slopes of the two lines are equal, then they are parallel.

3. What is the difference between parallel lines and perpendicular lines?

Parallel lines are two lines that never intersect and are always the same distance apart. Perpendicular lines, on the other hand, intersect at a 90-degree angle. In other words, perpendicular lines are "opposite and adjacent" whereas parallel lines are "same and never intersect".

4. How can you use the properties of parallel lines to solve problems?

One way to use the properties of parallel lines to solve problems is by using the corresponding angles, alternate interior angles, and alternate exterior angles theorem. These theorems state that when a transversal (a line that intersects two parallel lines) crosses two parallel lines, certain angles will be equal to each other. By identifying these angles and using algebra, we can solve for missing angles and sides in a triangle.

5. Can triangles have parallel sides?

Yes, triangles can have parallel sides. A triangle with two parallel sides is called an isosceles triangle, and a triangle with all three sides parallel is called an equilateral triangle. These types of triangles have unique properties and can be used to solve problems involving parallel lines and angles.