Tricky Derivation of Blackbody Equations.

In summary: Then you can use the given integral to solve for R(T). In summary, the blackbody Stefan-Boltzmann law can be derived from the Planck distribution by substituting the given value and using the provided integral to solve for R(T).
omegas

Homework Statement

Starting with the Planck distribution:

[tex] R(\lambda,T) = \frac{c}{4} \frac{8 \pi}{\lambda^4} (\frac{hc}{\lambda})(\frac{1}{e^{hc/(\lambda kT)}-1})[/tex]

Derive the blackbody Stefan-Boltzmann law (ie total flux is proportional to T4) by integrating the above expression over all wavelengths. Thus show that

R(T) = [tex] \frac{2 \pi^5 k^4}{15h^3 c^2} T^4 [/tex]

and [tex]\int[/tex] [tex] \frac{x^3}{e^x -1} dx = \frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to substitute [tex]x = \frac{hc}{kT} \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex]. And somehow I think I can use the form KR([tex]\lambda[/tex],T) = A([tex]\lambda[/tex])B([tex]\lambda[/tex])

Physics news on Phys.org
omegas said:

Homework Statement

Starting with the Planck distribution:

[tex] R(\lambda,T) = \frac{c}{4} \frac{8 \pi}{\lambda^4} (\frac{hc}{\lambda})(\frac{1}{e^{hc/(\lambda kT)}-1})[/tex]

Derive the blackbody Stefan-Boltzmann law (ie total flux is proportional to T4) by integrating the above expression over all wavelengths. Thus show that

[tex] R(T) = \frac{2 \pi^5 k^4}{15h^3 c^2} T^4 [/tex]

and [tex]\int[/tex] [tex] \frac{x^3}{e^x -1} dx = \frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to substitute [tex]x = \frac{hc}{kT} \frac{1}{\lambda}[/tex]. And somehow I think I can use the form KR([tex]\lambda[/tex],T) = A([tex]\lambda[/tex])B([tex]\lambda[/tex])

Just use that substitution and try to get it into the form of the integral provided.

1. What is the blackbody radiation problem?

The blackbody radiation problem refers to the theoretical prediction of the amount and distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by an ideal object that absorbs all radiation incident upon it. This problem has been a subject of interest and debate among scientists since the late 19th century.

2. How are the blackbody equations derived?

The blackbody equations are derived using theoretical models and mathematical calculations based on the principles of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. These equations describe the relationship between the temperature of a blackbody and the amount and wavelength of radiation it emits.

3. What is the significance of the blackbody equations?

The blackbody equations have significant implications in various fields, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and engineering. They provide a basis for understanding the properties of radiation and the behavior of objects in thermal equilibrium, and have been instrumental in the development of many modern technologies.

4. Are the blackbody equations accurate in real-world scenarios?

The blackbody equations are derived from idealized models and may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. However, they provide a useful framework for understanding the behavior of radiation and can be applied to practical situations with some adjustments and assumptions.

5. How have the blackbody equations been tested and verified?

The predictions of the blackbody equations have been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. These include the measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the emission spectra of various objects, such as stars and planets. The consistency of these results with the blackbody equations provides strong evidence for their validity.