1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig/constructing sine function from graph

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Construct or "work backwards" from a sine graph to a sine formula. The formula should be in:

y = A sin(Bx+C) +D

Where A is amplitude, D is Vertical Shift (on y access) and Bx+C are arguments of the function

The graph shows that the Phase Shift is 1 and Period is 6 (meaning the basic cycle begins at 1 and ends at 6)

2. Relevant equations

0 <= x <= 2pi (pi as in 3.14..) ("<=" is less than or equal too)

3. The attempt at a solution

1 <= x <= 6

0 <= x-1 <= 5 /** subtract 1 from all terms **/

0 <= pi(x)-1 <= 5pi /** multiply all terms by pi **/

0 <= (pi(x)-1)/2 <= 5pi/2 /** divide all terms by 2 **/

STUCK

The solution should be in 0 <= Yx+-Z <= 2pi (Where Y and Z can be any integer, the only thing that matters is that the 0 is at the beginning and that 2pi is the end)

This is not the only solution I tried, just the last one, so unless I have missed something rather fundamental I can't seem to solve this one. Please note that I solved 14 other problems that were basically of the same thing using the same methods that I have used to try to solve this problem and they all worked out and check out in the answers section (I am not a student, just picking up where I left off in high school).

If I have done something wrong (in the formatting of this posting) or you need something that I neglected to mention just let me know as this is my first time posting anything on this forum.

Also just to clarify all i am looking for is a solution the equalities statement not the whole y = equation as I understand that entirely.

thanks immensely!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then the period is 6-1= 5, not 6. The "standard" graph goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and has period [itex]2\pi - 0= 2\pi[/itex]. Basically, whatever your "Bx+ C" is you must have B(1)+ C= B+ C= 0 and [itex]B(6)+ C= 6B+ C= 2\pi[/itex]. Subtracting the first equation from the second, [itex]6B+ C- (B+ C)= 5B= 2\pi[/itex] so [itex]B= 2\pi/5[/itex]. Then B+ C= 0 becomes [itex]2\pi/5+ C= 0[/itex] so [itex]C= -2\pi/5[/itex]. Your equation should look like [itex]A sin((2\pi/5)x- 2\pi/5)+ D[/itex] or, equivalently, [itex]A sin(2\pi/5(x- 1))+ D[/itex]

You are going the wrong way here!

Why do you say they should be integers?

4. Dec 21, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To find the "Bx+ C" for any sine or cosine with a period from [itex]x_0[/itex] to [itex]x_1[/itex], Solve [itex]Bx_0+ C= 0[/itex] and [itex]Bx_1+ C= 2\pi[/itex].

5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    THANKS!

I looked over the other problems and noticed that they were all with phase shift 0, I don't know how I missed that....

Anyway I appreciate your replies

@HallsOfIvy

I tried it your way and it makes sense but when I solve the equation using period of 5 (6-1) I end with an equation of 0 <= ((pi)x-1)/2 <= 2pi which is markedly different from your procedure and end result. My equation checks out in the answers section, so I guess my question is why did you end up with something different for the same problem?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  6. Dec 22, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you don't say what you got or what the answer in the book was, I can't answer that.

7. Dec 22, 2009 #6
    @HallsOfIvy

I did say what my end result was with "0 <= ((pi)x-1)/2 <= 2pi" but if you want the sine equation it was y = 2 sin(((pi)x-1)/2)

EDIT sorry for all the parentheses, I really need to learn LaTeX

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook