Trig- Sine graph translations question help (C2 A level)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of graph transformations to solve problems involving composition of functions. The main focus is on understanding the order of operations in order to correctly apply the transformations. The conversation includes links to papers and mark schemes for further reference and understanding.
bobbricks
Please see question 9ii:
Paper: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...00/January 2012 - QP/6664_01_que_20120307.pdf
Mark scheme: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...00/January 2012 - MS/6664_01_msc_20120123.pdf

This is my working:
First I drew the sine graph, and then worked out that P had been translated/stretched from co ordinates (0,0) to (pi/10,0), Q from (pi,0) to (3pi/10,0) and R from (2pi,0) to (11pi,0).

Let m=ax-b
Sub x=0, m=pi/10 (where 0 is the x co ordinate before and pi/10 is the co ordinate after) so pi/10=-b so b=pi/10.

Sub x=pi, m=3pi/5 so 3pi/5=pi*a so a=1/2

Hence, y=sin(0.5x+pi/10) which seems to work for R as well--is this all incorrect and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
bobbricks said:
Please see question 9ii:
Paper: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...00/January 2012 - QP/6664_01_que_20120307.pdf
Mark scheme: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...00/January 2012 - MS/6664_01_msc_20120123.pdf

This is my working:
First I drew the sine graph, and then worked out that P had been translated/stretched from co ordinates (0,0) to (pi/10,0), Q from (pi,0) to (3pi/5,0) and R from (2pi,0) to (11pi,0).

Let m=ax-b
Sub x=0, m=pi/10

You have it backwards. From the graph we have that [itex]\sin (ax - b) = \sin m[/itex] is zero when [itex]x = \pi/10[/itex]. That means that when [itex]x = \pi/10[/itex] we must have [itex]m = n\pi[/itex] for some integer [itex]n[/itex] (and in fact [itex]n[/itex] must be an even integer because sin(ax - b) is shown to be increasing at P, but that's beside the point). We can choose to take n = 0 for simplicity, so that when [itex]x = \pi/10[/itex] we have [itex]m = 0[/itex].

I rewrote out my simultaneous equations as a(0)-b=pi/10 and a(pi)-b=3pi/5 ...however, I've been told that the 2 angles in each equation are the wrong way around- why? Because I was thinking that, for the second equation, if you apply a stretch of scale factor a to x=pi and then translate it down by b units, then it should give 3pi/5 ...?

bobbricks said:
I rewrote out my simultaneous equations as a(0)-b=pi/10 and a(pi)-b=3pi/5 ...however, I've been told that the 2 angles in each equation are the wrong way around- why? Because I was thinking that, for the second equation, if you apply a stretch of scale factor a to x=pi and then translate it down by b units, then it should give 3pi/5 ...?

The point is that you want to start at [itex]3\pi/5[/itex] (which is not a zero of the sine function) and do those operations in order to end up at [itex]\pi[/itex] (which is a zero). You are starting at [itex]\pi[/itex] and trying to end up at [itex]3\pi/5[/itex]!

pasmith said:
The point is that you want to start at [itex]3\pi/5[/itex] (which is not a zero of the sine function) and do those operations in order to end up at [itex]\pi[/itex] (which is a zero). You are starting at [itex]\pi[/itex] and trying to end up at [itex]3\pi/5[/itex]!

I think I understand but please can you elaborate on why you're starting from 3pi/5 and ending up at pi? (e.g. is it something to do with the function itself, or is there a proof to this?)

bobbricks said:
I think I understand but please can you elaborate on why you're starting from 3pi/5 and ending up at pi? (e.g. is it something to do with the function itself, or is there a proof to this?)

Consider the following problem, which I believe you know how to answer:

"Given the graph of [itex]f(x)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(ax - b)[/itex]."

Now instead consider this problem:

"Given the graph of [itex]f(ax - b)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(x)[/itex]."

I think you have read question 9(ii) as being the first, when it's closer to the second (since you're not actually asked to sketch any graphs). You can turn problems of the second type into problems of the first type by setting [itex]y = ax - b[/itex], so that [itex]x = y/a + b/a[/itex] and the problem becomes

"Given the graph of [itex]f(y)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(y/a + b/a)[/itex]."

which explains why your answers relate to the correct answers in the way that they do.

But perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem is not to think about translation and scaling of graphs but about composition of functions: starting from [itex]\pi/10[/itex] I want to multiply by [itex]a[/itex] and then subtract [itex]b[/itex] to end up at an even integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], and starting from [itex]3\pi/5[/itex] I want to multiply by [itex]a[/itex] and then subtract [itex]b[/itex] to end up at the next integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex].

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
Consider the following problem, which I believe you know how to answer:

"Given the graph of [itex]f(x)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(ax - b)[/itex]."

Now instead consider this problem:

"Given the graph of [itex]f(ax - b)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(x)[/itex]."

I think you have read question 9(ii) as being the first, when it's closer to the second (since you're not actually asked to sketch any graphs). You can turn problems of the second type into problems of the first type by setting [itex]y = ax - b[/itex], so that [itex]x = y/a + b/a[/itex] and the problem becomes

"Given the graph of [itex]f(y)[/itex], sketch the graph of [itex]f(y/a + b/a)[/itex]."

which explains why your answers relate to the correct answers in the way that they do.

But perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem is not to think about translation and scaling of graphs but about composition of functions: starting from [itex]\pi/10[/itex] I want to multiply by [itex]a[/itex] and then subtract [itex]b[/itex] to end up at an even integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], and starting from [itex]3\pi/5[/itex] I want to multiply by [itex]a[/itex] and then subtract [itex]b[/itex] to end up at the next integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex].
Hmm..I think I understand thanks- I don't suppose you help me with another question which is similar to this please (question 4b):
http://www.skinners-maths.co.uk/specimen A level papers/EC3paper/EC3sh_H.pdf

I wrote out that (1)(a+b)=1 and (-5)(a+b)=-1 but that doesn't seem to work? I know you can solve it directly by substituting in the co ordinates from the graph, but how would you use this idea of graph transformations on this question?

1. What is a sine graph?

A sine graph is a mathematical representation of a periodic function, specifically the sine function. It is a curve that oscillates between a maximum and minimum value, repeating itself over a certain period of time.

2. How do you translate a sine graph?

To translate a sine graph, you can use the general formula y = a*sin(bx + c) + d, where a is the amplitude, b is the period, c is the horizontal shift, and d is the vertical shift. Changing these values will shift the graph accordingly.

3. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical translation of a sine graph?

A horizontal translation, also known as a phase shift, changes the starting point of the graph along the x-axis. A vertical translation, on the other hand, changes the position of the entire graph along the y-axis.

4. How do you determine the period of a translated sine graph?

The period of a translated sine graph is determined by the value of b in the general formula y = a*sin(bx + c) + d. The period can be calculated by dividing 2π by the absolute value of b.

5. Can you provide an example of a translated sine graph?

Yes, for example, the graph y = 2*sin(3x + 1) + 4 has an amplitude of 2, a period of 2π/3, a horizontal shift of -1/3, and a vertical shift of 4. This means that the graph will be stretched vertically by a factor of 2, compressed horizontally by a factor of 3, shifted 1/3 units to the left, and shifted 4 units up.