Trig identity that I'm missing

In summary, when integrating -tan(x)sec^2(x), there may be multiple possible answers depending on the technique used. However, the answers will differ by at most a constant. In this specific case, Wolfram's answer of -(1/2)sec^2(x) is equivalent to your answer of -(1/2)tan^2(x), with the difference being a constant value of 1.
member 392791
I am trying to integrate -tan(x)sec^2(x) and getting -tan^2(x) / 2. When I put it in wolfram alpha it gets the same answer when I press show solution, but without pressing it it shows -sec(x)/2.

So I am wondering, is it the case tan^2(x) = sec(x)?? I don't remember this as a correct trig identity

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-tan%28x%29sec^2%28x%29+integral

Notice the difference in answer when you press for the show step by step solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm reading (1/2)[-sec(x)]^2 + C, in which case they might've used [tan(x)]^2 = [sec(x)]^2-1

Ahh I was misreading it, thanks.

In indefinite integral can have different answers, depending on the technique that is used, but the answers can differ by at most a constant.

When you integrated -tan(x)sec2(x) you got -(1/2)tan2(x). Wolfram's answer was -(1/2)sec2(x). Since sec2(x) = tan2(x) + 1, your answer and Wolfram's answer differ by a constant.

Hello,

It appears that the discrepancy in the answer is due to the use of different trigonometric identities. The identity -tan^2(x)/2 is equivalent to -sec(x)/2, as tan^2(x) is equal to sec^2(x) - 1. This is a commonly used identity in trigonometric integration.

However, when you press "show step by step solution" on Wolfram Alpha, it uses the identity -tan(x)sec(x) = -1, which simplifies the integral to -1/2. Both answers are correct, but the second one is considered a more simplified form.

To answer your question, tan^2(x) is not equal to sec(x). The correct identity is tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) - 1.

I hope this clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work in your integration practice!

1. What is a trig identity?

A trig identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions to each other. These identities are true for all values of the variables involved.

2. Why are trig identities important?

Trig identities are important because they allow us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions, making it easier to solve equations and apply them in real-world problems.

3. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation until it matches the other side. This can be done by using algebraic and trigonometric rules, such as the Pythagorean identity and the sum and difference formulas.

4. Are there any common trig identities that I should know?

Yes, some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, the double angle formulas, and the sum and difference formulas. It's important to familiarize yourself with these identities to solve more complex trigonometric equations.

5. Can I use trig identities in real-world applications?

Yes, trig identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving angles and distances, such as calculating the height of a building or determining the trajectory of a projectile.