Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig identity that I'm missing

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    I am trying to integrate -tan(x)sec^2(x) and getting -tan^2(x) / 2. When I put it in wolfram alpha it gets the same answer when I press show solution, but without pressing it it shows -sec(x)/2.

So I am wondering, is it the case tan^2(x) = sec(x)?? I don't remember this as a correct trig identity

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-tan%28x%29sec^2%28x%29+integral

Notice the difference in answer when you press for the show step by step solution

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I'm reading (1/2)[-sec(x)]^2 + C, in which case they might've used [tan(x)]^2 = [sec(x)]^2-1

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    Ahh I was misreading it, thanks.

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In indefinite integral can have different answers, depending on the technique that is used, but the answers can differ by at most a constant.

When you integrated -tan(x)sec2(x) you got -(1/2)tan2(x). Wolfram's answer was -(1/2)sec2(x). Since sec2(x) = tan2(x) + 1, your answer and Wolfram's answer differ by a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook