Integral using trig substitution

In summary, the integral:$$\int_{}^{}\frac{1}{x^2-9} \,dx$$can be solved using trig substitution with the help of the Heaviside cover-up method.
tmt1
I have this integral:

$$\int_{}^{}\frac{1}{x^2 - 9} \,dx$$

I believe I can use trig substitution with this so I can set $x = 3 sec\theta$

Evaluating this, I get

$$ln|\csc\left({\theta}\right) - \cot\left({\theta}\right)| + C$$

Since $x^2 - 9 = 9sec^2\theta - 9$, then $\frac{x^2 - 9}{3} = tan^2\theta$ and $tan\theta = \sqrt{\frac{x^2 - 9}{3}}$.

Then we know $csc\theta = \frac{sec\theta}{tan\theta}$ and in this context $sec\theta = x / 3$, so $csc\theta = \frac{x / 3}{ \sqrt{\frac{x^2 - 9}{3}}}$.

Thus the answer is

$$ln| \frac{x / 3}{ \sqrt{\frac{x^2 - 9}{3}}} - \sqrt{\frac{3}{x^2 - 9}}| + C$$

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can avoid a trig sub:

\(\displaystyle \int\dfrac{1}{x^2-9}\,dx=\dfrac16\int\left(\dfrac{1}{x-3}-\dfrac{1}{x+3}\right)\,dx=\dfrac16\left(\ln|x-3|-\ln|x+3|\right)+C\)

\(\displaystyle =\dfrac16\ln\left|\dfrac{x-3}{x+3}\right|+C\)

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2-9}[/tex]

Let [tex]x \,=\,3\sec\theta \quad\Rightarrow\quad dx \;=\; 3\sec\theta\tan\theta\,d\theta[/tex]

[tex]x^2-9 \:=\:9\sec^2\theta-9 \;=\;9(\sec^2\theta-1) \;=\;9\tan^2\theta[/tex]

[tex]\text{Substitute: }\;\int\frac{3\sec\theta\tan\theta\,d\theta}{9\tan^2\theta} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\int\frac{\sec\theta}{\tan\theta}d\theta \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\int\frac{d\theta}{\sin\theta}[/tex]

. . [tex] =\;\tfrac{1}{3}\int\csc\theta\,d\theta \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\ln|\csc\theta - \cot\theta| + C[/tex]Back-substitute: .[tex]\sec\theta \:=\:\frac{x}{3} \quad\Rightarrow\quad \csc\theta \:=\:\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-9}} \quad\Rightarrow\quad \cot\theta \:=\:\frac{3}{\sqrt{x^2-9}} [/tex]

We have: . [tex]\tfrac{1}{3}\ln \left|\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-9}} - \frac{3}{\sqrt{x^2-9}}\right| + C
\;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\ln\left|\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{x^2-9}}\right| +C[/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\ln\left|\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{(x-3)(x+3)}}\right| + C \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\ln\left|\frac{\sqrt{x-3}}{\sqrt{x+3}}\right| + C \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\ln\left|\sqrt{\frac{x-3}{x+3}}\right| +C[/tex]

. . [tex]=\;\tfrac{1}{6}\ln\left|\frac{x-3}{x+3}\right| + C[/tex]

greg1313 said:
You can avoid a trig sub:

\(\displaystyle \int\dfrac{1}{x^2-9}\,dx=\dfrac16\int\left(\dfrac{1}{x-3}-\dfrac{1}{x+3}\right)\,dx=\dfrac16\left(\ln|x-3|-\ln|x+3|\right)+C\)

\(\displaystyle =\dfrac16\ln\left|\dfrac{x-3}{x+3}\right|+C\)

How does $\frac{1}{x^2-9}$ simplify to $\frac{1}{6}( \frac{1}{x-3}-\frac{1}{x+3})$? I see that $x^3 - 9 = (x - 3)(x + 3)$ but how is this derived?

tmt said:
How does $\frac{1}{x^2-9}$ simplify to $\frac{1}{6}( \frac{1}{x-3}-\frac{1}{x+3})$? I see that $x^3 - 9 = (x - 3)(x + 3)$ but how is this derived?

We use partial fraction decomposition. We begin with the factorization:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^2-9}=\frac{1}{(x+3)(x-3)}\)

Then the assumption this factored form can also be written in the following form (sum):

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+3)(x-3)}=\frac{A}{x+3}+\frac{B}{x-3}\)

Now, I would at this point, for simplicity since we have linear factors, use the Heaviside cover-up method. On the left side, we see the root of the first factor is:

\(\displaystyle x=-3\)

Then we cover-up that factor, and evaluate what's left using that value for $x$ and equate that to $A$:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{-3-3}=-\frac{1}{6}\)

Then we do the same thing with the other factor for $B$:

\(\displaystyle B=\frac{1}{3+3}=\frac{1}{6}\)

And so, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(x+3)(x-3)}=\frac{-\dfrac{1}{6}}{x+3}+\frac{\dfrac{1}{6}}{x-3}=\frac{1}{6}\left(\frac{1}{x-3}-\frac{1}{x+3}\right)\)

Back when I was a student, one of the standard forms we learned was:

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2-a^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u-a}{u+a}\right| + C[/tex]

It occupied only a few brain cells and saved hours of time.

Related to Integral using trig substitution

1. What is trig substitution in integration?

Trig substitution is a technique used to simplify integrals involving radical expressions or expressions with polynomial and trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, allowing it to be evaluated more easily.

2. When should I use trig substitution in integration?

Trig substitution is useful when the integral involves expressions with square roots, or when the integrand contains a combination of polynomials and trigonometric functions. It can also be helpful in solving integrals involving inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common trigonometric substitutions used in integration?

The most commonly used trigonometric substitutions in integration are: sinθ, cosθ, and tanθ. Other substitutions may also be used, such as secθ, cscθ, and cotθ, depending on the specific integral being solved.

4. How do you determine which trigonometric substitution to use?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral. In general, when an integral involves a term of the form √(a^2 - x^2), the substitution x = a sinθ is used. When the integral involves a term of the form √(x^2 + a^2), the substitution x = a tanθ is used. And when the integral contains a term of the form √(x^2 - a^2), the substitution x = a secθ is used.

5. Can trig substitution be used for all types of integrals?

No, trig substitution is not applicable to all types of integrals. It is most useful for solving integrals with radical expressions or expressions containing both polynomials and trigonometric functions. For other types of integrals, other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.