Trig: Writing the equation for vertical asymptote of a secant function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the vertical asymptote and how to determine the value of k in the equation \frac{1}{2}+k. The participants also mention using the formula for the vertical asymptote and its relation to inverse trig functions.
DinosaurEgg

Homework Statement

mk7orc.png

Homework Equations

How did they come up with [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]+k for the equation of the vertical asymptote? I understand everything else except this.

The Attempt at a Solution

On this particular exercise, I graphed it and saw that each of my vertical dashed lines were all one whole unit apart. I've tried this method with another problem that had the dashed lines separated 2 units apart, took that 2, and multiplied it by the x=[itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex]. The result was [itex]\prod[/itex]+2k[itex]\prod[/itex], which was correct.

I tried it with other numbers and have gotten the correct answer, but I have a feeling I'm still doing something wrong. Because with this particular one using my method, I input [itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex] as my answer for the vertical asymptote which was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be right if the equation were y=4*sec(x). It's not. It's y=4*sec(pi*x). There's already a pi in the equation for y. y=4*sec(pi*x) doesn't have an asymptote at x=pi/2.

I noticed multiplying the vertical asymptote formula/equation by 1/pi cancels out the pi, resulting in that 1/2+k... but where did they get 1/pi from? Does that have any relation to secant being 1/cos?

Worked on another problem set up similarly and I think I got it!

I noticed that simply taking the 'B' (like in the y=Asin[B(x-C)]+D formula), turning it into the reciprocal (1/B), and thennnn multiplying it by [itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex] gets me the right asymptote. This *does* relate to inverse trig functions (ie, sec being the reciprocal of cos), right?

1. What is a vertical asymptote in a secant function?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that a function approaches but never touches. In a secant function, it represents a value for which the function is undefined.

2. How do you identify the equation for a vertical asymptote in a secant function?

The equation for the vertical asymptote of a secant function is found by setting the denominator of the function equal to zero and solving for the variable. This will give you the value of x for which the function is undefined.

3. Can there be more than one vertical asymptote in a secant function?

Yes, it is possible for a secant function to have more than one vertical asymptote. This occurs when there are multiple values of x that make the denominator of the function equal to zero.

4. How does the vertical asymptote affect the graph of a secant function?

The vertical asymptote creates a break or a gap in the graph of a secant function. The function approaches the asymptote from both sides but never actually touches it.

5. What is the significance of the vertical asymptote in a secant function?

The vertical asymptote represents a value for which the function is undefined. This can provide important information about the behavior of the function and can also help identify the domain of the function.