1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig: Writing the equation for vertical asymptote of a secant function?

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    mk7orc.png

2. Relevant equations
    How did they come up with [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]+k for the equation of the vertical asymptote? I understand everything else except this.

3. The attempt at a solution
    On this particular exercise, I graphed it and saw that each of my vertical dashed lines were all one whole unit apart. I've tried this method with another problem that had the dashed lines separated 2 units apart, took that 2, and multiplied it by the x=[itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex]. The result was [itex]\prod[/itex]+2k[itex]\prod[/itex], which was correct.

I tried it with other numbers and have gotten the correct answer, but I have a feeling I'm still doing something wrong. Because with this particular one using my method, I input [itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex] as my answer for the vertical asymptote which was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You would be right if the equation were y=4*sec(x). It's not. It's y=4*sec(pi*x). There's already a pi in the equation for y. y=4*sec(pi*x) doesn't have an asymptote at x=pi/2.

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    I noticed multiplying the vertical asymptote formula/equation by 1/pi cancels out the pi, resulting in that 1/2+k... but where did they get 1/pi from? Does that have any relation to secant being 1/cos?

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4
    Worked on another problem set up similarly and I think I got it!

I noticed that simply taking the 'B' (like in the y=Asin[B(x-C)]+D formula), turning it into the reciprocal (1/B), and thennnn multiplying it by [itex]\prod[/itex]/2 + k[itex]\prod[/itex] gets me the right asymptote. This *does* relate to inverse trig functions (ie, sec being the reciprocal of cos), right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook