Trignometry Inequalities in [0, 2pi)?

In summary, to solve the given inequality in the interval [0, 2pi), you need to determine the sign of (2sinx-3) and (sinx-1) and find values of x where one is negative and the other is positive. If there are no such values, the inequality has no solutions.
zeion

Homework Statement

Solve the following equations or inequalities in the interval [0, 2pi).

2sin2x - 5sinx + 3 < 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(2sin2x - 3)(sinx - 1)
sinx = 3/2 or sinx = 1

Not sure what to do now

sinx = 3/2 is impossible?
sinx = 1 then x = 90 = pi/2

Physics news on Phys.org
just correcting your square...

2sin2x - 5sinx + 3 = (2sinx-3)(sinx-1)

However rather than finding the bounding points (=0, though your thinking was correct) you have an inequality
(2sinx-3)(sinx-1) < 0

so what conditions need to be satisfied for (2sinx-3)(sinx-1) to be negative?

Do I need to sub in points to see rather it is positive or negative before and after sinx - 1?

Your inequality in factored form is (2sinx-3)(sinx-1) < 0.
As you have already noticed, the first factor can't be zero, which means that it is either always positive or always negative, no matter what x value you substitute. Determine which of these it is.

For the product of the two factors to be negative, they have to be opposite in sign.

following on from what Mark said, if the sin's are confusing, first solve for y, ie
(2y-3)(y-1)<0

then translate that to the original problem, by y = sinx, knowing that only y values in the range [-1,1] are allowable solutions for x

So I think that (2sinx-3) is always neagative, this means that I need to find values of x where (sinx -1) is positive to satisfy the inequality?

sounds like you're on the right track to me

Does this mean I need to solve sinx > 1?
I don't think there are any values where sinx > 1. Or am I confused about what I'm doing?
sinx is 1 when x is 90

sin(x) = 1 when x = (90 + k*360) degrees, but are there any values of x for which sin(x) > 1? If you're not sure, see lanedance's post 5.

What happens if there are no values where sinx > 1?

Then the inequality has no solutions.

Related to Trignometry Inequalities in [0, 2pi)?

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances.

2. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It helps in calculating distances, heights, and angles, and is also used in industries like construction, architecture, and surveying.

3. What are the basic trigonometric ratios?

The basic trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios are used to relate the sides and angles of a right triangle. Sine is opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse, and tangent is opposite over adjacent.

4. How do I solve a simple trigonometry question?

To solve a simple trigonometry question, you can use the basic trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean theorem. First, identify the given sides and angles, then use the appropriate ratio to find the missing side or angle. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to check your answer.

5. What is the unit circle in Trigonometry?

The unit circle in Trigonometry is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used to define the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. The coordinates of a point on the unit circle correspond to the sine and cosine values of the angle formed by that point with the positive x-axis.