1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric functions like sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x)

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    Hi guyz, as we know we have some known relations in the trigonometric functions like

sin(2x)=2sin(x)cos(x) and sin(x/2)=1/2-1/2 cos2x

My question is are there similiar formulas for arcsin and arccos?

I know those only !

arcsin x =ln(ix-sqrt(1-x^2))
    arccos x =ln(-ix-sqrt(1-x^2))

I'm working in electrodynamics, and i reached an integral for the kinetic energy and the answer should be mc^2-mc^2, but i'm getting arcsin !!

i knew the answer already about the energy, but i don't this i should neglect the problem of the damn inverse function,

Can any one help and tell me some formulas?

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are not getting "arcsin"; you might be getting the arcsine to some argument. What argument?

4. Mar 23, 2006 #3

uart

Science Advisor

"sin(x/2)=1/2-1/2 cos2x"

That's not correct. Perhaps the identity you were thinking of was
    sin^2(x)=1/2-1/2 cos2x.

I'm not really sure what your question is but you haven't fogotten about the trig of arc_trig relationships have you? I mean like cos(arctan(x)) = 1/sqrt(1+x^2) etc.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  5. Mar 23, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i suppose you could take a formula like sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), set u = sinx, cosx = sqrt(1-u^2), x = arcsin(u), and apply arcsin to the previous formula,

to get say 2arcsin(u) = arcsin(2u[sqrt(1-u^2)]).

seems pointless though. i.e. any formula for sin, cos, IS a formula for arcsin, arccos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook