1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Identity: Double Angle.

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the question given:

A blade for a lawnmower consists of two parts made of the same material and joined together as shown:

Untitled.jpg

The length OP is one unit in length and MPQN is square in shape.

Develop an equation for the cross-sectional area of the blade and find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade.

2. Relevant equations

sin 2 ∅ = 2 ((sin ∅) (cos ∅)

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt? I've tried deriving the double angle equation but cant get anywhere... :( basically there is only one known piece of info (in the hypotenuse being one unit in length)...

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you mean express the area of the blade in terms of ##\phi##. Use trig to express PM and OM in terms of ##\phi##, then use that to calculate the two areas.

4. May 5, 2012 #3
    I know what you mean and thank you.

But what I dont know is what to do from there to get some physical/actual answer...

5. May 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I don't know what else to do either because the statement "find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade" doesn't mean anything to me.

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    I think it simply means find the value of theta, and in turn, use that value to find the surface area of the blade.

7. May 5, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But there isn't "a value of ##\phi##". As ##\phi## varies so does the area. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi##. I think the rest of the problem isn't properly stated.

8. May 5, 2012 #7
    I know and this is what confuses me. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi## yes, but this wont get me anywhere. I have written the question essentially the same, so maybe there is an error with the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook