Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trigonometric Identity: Double Angle.

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the question given:

A blade for a lawnmower consists of two parts made of the same material and joined together as shown:

Untitled.jpg

The length OP is one unit in length and MPQN is square in shape.

Develop an equation for the cross-sectional area of the blade and find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade.

2. Relevant equations

sin 2 ∅ = 2 ((sin ∅) (cos ∅)

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt? I've tried deriving the double angle equation but cant get anywhere... :( basically there is only one known piece of info (in the hypotenuse being one unit in length)...

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I guess you mean express the area of the blade in terms of ##\phi##. Use trig to express PM and OM in terms of ##\phi##, then use that to calculate the two areas.

4. May 5, 2012 #3
    I know what you mean and thank you.

But what I dont know is what to do from there to get some physical/actual answer...

5. May 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I don't know what else to do either because the statement "find the magnitude of angle ∅ to give the area of the blade" doesn't mean anything to me.

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    I think it simply means find the value of theta, and in turn, use that value to find the surface area of the blade.

7. May 5, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But there isn't "a value of ##\phi##". As ##\phi## varies so does the area. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi##. I think the rest of the problem isn't properly stated.

8. May 5, 2012 #7
    I know and this is what confuses me. You can express the area in terms of ##\phi## yes, but this wont get me anywhere. I have written the question essentially the same, so maybe there is an error with the question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook