1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Substitution Problem w/ Sin Substitution

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫(√(64 - x^2)) / x dx

I must solve this using a sin substitution.

2. Relevant equations

x = 8sinΘ
    dx = 8cosΘ dΘ
    Θ = arcsin(x/8)
    Pythagorean Identities

3. The attempt at a solution

(After substitution)
    = ∫8cosΘ * (√(64 - 64sin^2Θ)) / 8sinΘ dΘ
    = ∫(cosΘ * (√(64(1 - sin^2Θ))) / sinΘ dΘ
    = ∫(cosΘ * (√(64cos^2Θ)) / sinΘ dΘ
    = ∫8cos^2Θ / sinΘ dΘ

At this point, I didn't see any easy substitutions, like the rest of the problem set. So I thought there was a good chance I made an error. I checked to see if the answer to this integral was the same as the answer to the original integral, and saw that it wasn't. So somewhere up to this point, I made a mistake. After looking over my work, I don't see what I did wrong. Maybe it's just the integral calculator I'm using, I'm not sure.

Either way, I don't really know how to proceed with this problem. Sorry if the formatting is hard to read. I don't know the bbcode for posting these symbols properly and am in a rush at the moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This reads: $$\int \frac{\sqrt{64-x^2}}{x}\; dx$$
    ... is that correct?

If so, then sub ##x=8\sin\theta## does get you ##dx = 8\cos\theta\; d\theta##
    To give: $$8\int \frac{\cos^2\theta}{\sin\theta}\; d\theta$$ ... which is as far as you've got.

You need to use trig identities to turn this into integrals you know how to do ... how about ##\cos^2\theta = 1-\sin^2\theta## ?
    The integrand is also ##\cos\theta / \tan\theta## and other forms you may have some luck figuring out.
    Basically you need to find a big table of trig identities and integrals.

4. Nov 19, 2016 #3
    That is correct. And thank you, I was able to work out the solution. I don't know why, but I kept insisting to myself that this simplified integral needed a u substitution when in reality all I had to do was simplify it further with some trig identities. Sometimes when I do problems in a rush I make mistakes like this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted