1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration By Trig Substitution

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫√(4-x^2)/x dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a^2=4 u^2=x^2 ⇒ u=asinθ
    a=2 u=x
    x=2sinθ sinθ
    dx=2cosθ dθ

∫√(4-4sin^2θ)/2sinθ 2cosθ dθ
    ∫2cos^2θ/2sinθ 2cosθ dθ
    2∫cos^2θ/sinθ cosθ dθ

Now what????????????? I have been working on this problem for the last 3 3 hours and I am at a stand still. Can somebody Please get me to the answer?????????
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Now use the formula cos2θ+sin2θ=1 and replace cos2θ and then try using t=sinθ as a substitution.
  4. Aug 31, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you want to use a trig substitution. Try u^2=4-x^2. Then use partial fractions on the u integral.
  5. Aug 31, 2010 #4
    To do partial fractions, don't I need to divide the numerator by the denominator because the exponent is larger in the numerator? If so, how? I've never tried to do synthetic division on a sqrt.
  6. Aug 31, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you missed that it's u^2=4-x^2, not u=4-x^2. There's no sqrt left after the u substitution.
  7. Aug 31, 2010 #6
    What I have now is:
    =2∫cos^2θ/sinθ dθ
    =2∫1-sin^2θ/sinθ dθ
    =2∫1-sinθ dθ
    =2(cosθ + θ)
    But I can't resub because there is no value for θ!
  8. Sep 1, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are also making algebra mistakes. (1-sin(t)^2)/sin(t) isn't 1-sin(t). And to get things back in terms of x, you want to put theta=arcsin(x/2).
  9. Sep 1, 2010 #8
    well thats right

whenever u have anything under the square root , try removing hte square root first
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook