1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration via Trigonometric Substitution

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate [tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{(1-x^2)^\frac{5}{2}}}dx[/tex] via trigonometric substitution.
    You can do this via normal u-substitution but I'm unsure of how to evaluate via trigonometric substitution.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Letting [tex]x=sinθ[/tex],
    [tex]\int{\frac{sin^{2}θ}{(1-sin^{2}θ)^\frac{5}{2}}}dθ=\int{\frac{sin^{2}θ}{(cos^{2}θ)^\frac{5}{2}}}dθ[/tex]
    but I'm not sure how the working in the answers gets up to [tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{(1-x^2)^\frac{5}{2}}}dx=\int{\frac{sin^{2}θ}{cos^{4}θ}}dθ[/tex].

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2
    Try to change the last integral by using other trigonometric functions, like ## \tan\theta ## and ## \sec\theta.##

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    Oh, I misunderstand what you want to know. I thought you want to calculate the last thing.

When you starts from the beginning, there should be ## dx##, the integral variable. Then, I think you may find what you missed during your calculation.

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4
    So what is wrong with this:
    [tex]\int{\frac{sin^{2}θ}{(cos^{2}θ)^\frac{5}{2}}}dθ=
    Yeah I forgot to type that in, anyway it's trig identity I'm kinda having trouble with atm.

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5
    ## dx ## cannot change directly ## d\theta ##. They have to connected by some function.

7. Oct 10, 2015 #6
    Not too sure what you mean by that.
    For functions with the form [tex]\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex] you can express them as [tex]x=asinθ[/tex]

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    See,

[tex] \int \dfrac{x^2}{(1-x^2)^{5/2}} dx = \int \dfrac{ \sin^2\theta}{(1-\sin^2\theta)^{5/2}} dx = \int \dfrac{\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^5\theta} dx \neq \int \dfrac{\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^5\theta} d\theta.[/tex]
    You missed something in the lase step.

9. Oct 10, 2015 #8
    Yeah it was a typo...

10. Oct 10, 2015 #9
    Then, what is ## dx ## as a function of ## \theta ##?

11. Oct 10, 2015 #10
    The denominator is somehow supposed to be [tex]cos^{4}θ[/tex], not [tex]cos^{5}θ[/tex]. That's all I need help with, nothing else.

12. Oct 10, 2015 #11
    Yes, I know and you almost reach the final goal.

##dx## have to change as ## d\theta ## because the last integration is in a form ## \int (\cdots) d\theta ##. But as you know, ## dx \neq d\theta ##.

What is ## dx / d\theta ##? It's really strong hint about this problem.

13. Oct 10, 2015 #12
    I hope you already got the answer for the problem.

The key idea is chain rule. The differentiation of ## x## with respect to ## \theta ## is ## dx/d\theta = \cos\theta ##. Then, the integration will change as
    $$ \int \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos^5\theta} dx = \int \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos^5\theta} \dfrac{dx}{d\theta} d\theta = \int \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos^5\theta} \cos \theta d\theta = \int \dfrac{\sin^2\theta}{\cos^4\theta} d\theta.$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted