Trigonometry - Cricket related word problem

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a diagram for a cricket problem. The speaker is asking for help and provides some information about pitches and wickets. The other person responds by providing a diagram with labels for the dimensions of the pitch. They also calculate the angle of the opposite side of the diagram and confirm that it is correct.
nmnna
Homework Statement
A cricket ball is rolled in a straight line down the pitch from immediately alongside one of the stumps at one end of the pitch. Find within what angle its direction of motion lies if it does not miss the wickets at the other end. Take the diameter of the ball as 3 in. and the extreme width of the stumps as 8 in.
Relevant Equations
$$\tan(\alpha) = \frac{opposite \ side}{adjacent \ side}$$
Hello, I don't know anything about cricket, so I'll be grateful if you help me with constructing a diagram for this problem.

Here's my attempt.
1615899591355.png

I looked up on the internet and I pretty much get the idea of pitches and wickets, but still cannot connect everything together.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you want is this, where ##D## is the diameter of the ball, ##L## is the length of the pitch (stumps to stumps) and ##W## is the width of the stumps.

thumbnail_20210316_120920.jpg

PeroK said:
I think what you want is this, where ##D## is the diameter of the ball, ##L## is the length of the pitch (stumps to stumps) and ##W## is the width of the stumps.

View attachment 279840
Thank you for your effort.
My understanding.
$$w = 8 in. \ D = 3 in. L = 22 yd = 792 in.$$
The opposite side of alpha $$ = 2(1.5) + 8 = 11 in.$$
So $$\tan(\alpha) = \frac{opposite \ side}{adjacent \ side} = \frac{11}{792} \approx 0.014 \Rightarrow \alpha = \arctan(0.014) \approx 0.802^\circ \approx 48' $$
Is this right?

Looks about right.

Likes nmnna

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving triangles in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How is Trigonometry used in Cricket?

In cricket, Trigonometry is used to calculate the distance between the bowler and the batsman, the angle of the bowler's arm, and the trajectory of the ball. It is also used to determine the optimal angle for throwing the ball to hit the stumps.

3. Can you give an example of a Cricket related word problem that involves Trigonometry?

One example of a Cricket related word problem involving Trigonometry is calculating the distance between the bowler and the batsman when the bowler is standing 20 meters away from the batsman and the angle of the bowler's arm is 30 degrees. Using Trigonometry, we can find that the distance between the bowler and the batsman is approximately 11.55 meters.

4. How does Trigonometry help in predicting the trajectory of the ball in Cricket?

By using Trigonometry, we can calculate the angle and velocity of the ball when it is released by the bowler. This information can then be used to predict the trajectory of the ball and help the fielders position themselves accordingly to catch the ball.

5. Is Trigonometry the only mathematical concept used in Cricket?

No, there are other mathematical concepts such as geometry, algebra, and statistics that are also used in Cricket. Trigonometry is just one of the many mathematical tools that can be applied to solve problems related to the sport.